19

The group continued rowing across the lake.

Jill said in a glum tone, "We'll never get back to our own world. We're buried her as deep as deep in the earth."

"Steady, Pole," Eustace told his friend.

"But we're doing very well," Puddleglum encouraged. "Don't you remember? We were to go under the ruined city, what we have done. We most certainly are under it." He glanced between Eustace and Cara. "And that means we are following Aslan's instructions again." He gently squeezed Jill's shoulder. "Warden!" He cleared his throat. "Um, Mr. Warden."

"My name is Mullugutherum," the warden said.

"Mr. Warden, have many others, have any others that can smile, walk and talk have, uh, done this trip?"

"Many have come down-"

"I know."

Puddleglum and Mullugutherum said in sync, "-and few have returned to the sunlit-"

"-land," Puddleglum finished. "Hmm." He patted Jill's shoulder and did the same to Cara.

Cara leaned closer to Jill and said, "We'll get home soon. Perhaps to awaiting tea and scones. Oh, how I kiss Ed. I wonder what he's up to."

Jill smiled. "That does sound delightful. I'm sure he's missing you dearly."

"Hopefully as much as I miss him."

"More so I hope."

Their journey across the lake continued in silence.

The four were eventually offered a plate of what Cara guessed to be bread. Each companion took one before the plate was pulled away and quietly ate their piece.

"No flavour," Eustace said.

"There's absolutely no taste at all," Jill commented.

"Well," Puddleglum began, "it could be worse. If these don't taste of anything, they don't taste terrible. I think they're rather nice."

Cara shrugged. "The sustenance is nice no matter if there is flavour or not."

After they'd eaten, Jill looked up and said, "Feels like we've been on this boat forever. Or that we've been underground forever."

"I can hardly remember what the Sun looks like," Eustace admitted, causing Jill and Cara to look at him. "I mean, for a bit of blue sky."

Jill glanced at Puddleglum as she asked, "Could we play a game or something to fill up the time?"

"I can think of a game," Puddleglum replied. "Remembering the signs." Jill let out a sigh and Cara patted her shoulder.

"Well, yes," Eustace agreed, facing the others. "As you said, three was to do what was written in the stones." Jill turned to him. "And we did. We came down here. Four-" He paused. "What's four?"

Jill looked at Puddleglum as she said, "The first and only person on our trip to ask us to do something in the name of Aslan must be obeyed."

"Not that we're likely to meet any such person down here," Puddleglum said as he stared at the Earthmen and Jill let out a sigh.

Cara tilted her head and smiled as she was.  "No, I think we shall. And sooner than we realise."

The boat rowed towards a large building and Puddleglum pointed to it while Jill, Eustace and Cara, the former of them who lifted their heads, stared at it.

They finally reached another dock and were pulled off the boat.

"Get your hands off me!" Eustace yelled as he shook the Earthmen holding him away.

Cara and Jill also shook the Earthmen holding them away.

Mullugutherum led them down the platform towards the building as he ordered, "Make haste!"

"What is this place?" Eustace demanded. "Where are you taking us?!"

They followed Mullugutherum into and through what seemed to be a workroom, or a storage room; Cara couldn't figure out which.

Mullugutherum led the four up a flight of stairs and past countless Earthmen working.

Eventually, they came to an ornate door and Mullugutherum said, "Now we sink down to the Underworld," a door opened, "and few have returned to the sunlight."

The companions entered the room and Jill commented, "That light. It's our kind of light. That's all blue and dismal."

"No, no, I take it the Queen has gone away on some great affair," the Earthman who'd opened the door said. "The only thing to be done with these top dwellers is to-"

"Oh, is that you, Mullugutherum?" a male voice asked. "Who have you there?"

"Strangers, sir," Mullugutherum replied, moving to look at who he was speaking to. "Creatures of the Overworld."

"Overworlders? Bring them down to me this instant."

"May it please your highness to remember that the Queen-"

"If it pleases my highness principally to be obeyed with this matter. Bring them down!"

Mullugutherum led them down a flight of stairs to the one who had ordered it. He opened a door and gestured to the entrance as he said, "Enter."

The four slowly entered the room. First were the children, Eustace first and Cara last, and finally Puddleglum.

Cara looked around the brightly lit, beautifully decorated room and almost immediately noticed a man in a chair. She nearly immediately realised that it was the Black Knight they'd met before visiting the Giants.

Mullugutherum and another Earthman entered after the four, then left and slammed the door behind them.

"Welcome Overworlders," the Black Knight greeted. "Welcome to-" He stopped abruptly and his head fell to his right.

The Black Knight suddenly stood and walked towards them. "Stay, I cry mercy. I've seen you three children and of your stronger governor before, and of the woman who seems from a dream. Was it not you four that met me on the borders of Ettinsmoor when I rode there by my lady's side?"

"Do you mean you were the Black Knight who never spoke?" Jill questioned.

"I was."

"And that lady is the Queen of this Underworld?" Puddleglum asked.

"What did she think she was doing," Eustace began as the Black Knight looked around, "sending us off to a castle of Giants to be eaten for dinner. We never did her any harm."

The Black Knight suddenly grabbed Eustace. "How dare you speak so of the Queen! Insolent boy." He dropped Eustace to the floor and pulled out his sword.

Jill placed a hand on her friend's shoulder and Cara placed one on Jill's.