"It'll be a struggle up that slope," Eustace said as he stared at the staircase. "These steps are a bit steep."

Cara, Eustace and Jill began climbing up.

"I'll tell you something," Puddleglum stated from the ground.

"I know," Jill replied. "If we break our necks slipping backwards we won't break them slipping down the other side. Yes? Oh, come on."

The trio resumed climbing and Puddleglum followed them up.

They walked along the bridge.

Eustace, who wasn't looking at the surface he was walking on, tripped and slipped through a hole, hanging on with his fingers. The arrows he had fell and Jill screamed.

"Somebody do something!" Jill yelled.

"Help me!" Eustace cried and Jill, Cara and Puddleglum began pulling him up.

"Are you all right?" Jill asked.

The four moved carefully around the holes, Puddleglum helping Eustace and the girls after he'd gone, and they made their way across the remainder of the bridge.

They descended the steps on the other side and as soon as Puddleglum had almost reached the bottom, Jill asked, "Where are we now, Puddleglum?"

"A dense moore behind us, we face the Great Northern plain ahead," Puddleglum replied.

The four walked across the plain.

Something caught Eustace's eye and he exclaimed, "Look! Someone's coming."

Cara eyed the figures on horseback warily and said, "Be careful."

As Eustace walked slightly ahead of the others, Puddleglum warned, "Now be careful. The Princess is right in her warning. Anybody we meet in this place is likely to be an enemy. Mustn't let them think we're afraid and we must keep the King's dear sister safe. And whatever you do, don't tell them anything."

Jill let out a sigh. "At least they're not Giants."

The figures on horseback reached the four and the woman said, "Why, good day to you, travellers. Some of you are very young pilgrims to be walking this rough waste."

"We're looking for the ruined city of the Giants."

"The ruined city? That is a strange place to be seeking. What will you do if you find it?"

"Begging your pardon, ma'am, but we don't know you or your silent friend and we'd rather, uh, we'd rather not discuss our business with strangers," Puddleglum said. "Do you- Do you think we'll have a little rain soon?"

The woman laughed and said, "Well, children, you have a wise, solemn guise and I think none the worse for him for keeping his own council of jokes, but I shall be free with mine. I have heard of the Giant city ruinous, but have never met anyone who would tell me the way to it. But this road," she gestured behind her, "leads eventually to the castle at Harfang. And in Harfang, you will find the gentle Giants who are a smile, civil, present and courteous as the Giants of Ettinsmoor are foolish, savage and stupid."

"And shall we there hear tidings of the city ruinous?"

"I know not. But certainly you will find good lodgings and many hosts. There you shall have hot steaming baths and soft beds. And the baked and sweet will be on your table four times a day." She chuckled.

Eustace glanced at Jill. "Think of sleeping in a bed again."

Jill gasped softly. "Oh, and of hot baths. But do you think they'll ask us to stay? We don't know them you see."

"Only tell them the chi of the green cattle salutes them and has sent two fair southern children for the autumn feasts," the woman replied.

"That's really kind of you," Eustace said.

"Thank you," Jill told the woman. "Thank you very much."

"But have a care," the woman warned. "On whatever day you reach Harfang, come not to the door too late. For they shut their gates a few hours after noon and open to none. Once they have drawn the moat, fare thee well. And I mean that, children. May you, farewell."

The four walked slightly past the woman and her silent companion and stopped to watch the two leave on horseback.

Cara said softly, "I fear this feels too good to be true. We should be cautious as to what lies before us."

Jill glanced at Cara. "You're turning into Puddleglum with such pessimism." She continued watching the two ride away. "What a lovely horse. Beautiful green dress."

Struck with a sudden thought, Cara's eyes widened. "Green? That can't be a coincidence."

Her wariness was seemingly brushed off and they continued their trek.

"Come on," Jill said.

Cara glanced back at the retreating figures and an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of her stomach.

After a short while, Puddleglum said, "I give a good deal to know where she came from and where she's going to. Up to no good I shouldn't wonder." He glanced at Cara. "Your wariness is not ignored, Princess."

"I thought she was super," Eustace commented. "I hope this Harfang place isn't far."

"All the same, I wish we knew a bit more about her."

"I wanted to ask all about herself," Jill said. "How could I when you wouldn't tell her anything about us."

"Yes," Eustace agreed, "and why were you so unpleasant to them?"

""Them"?" Puddleglum repeated. "I only saw one."

"Didn't you see the knight?"

"I saw a suit of armour. Why didn't he speak?"

"I bet he was shy," Jill guessed.

"I wonder what you'd really see if you lifted up the visor of the helmet and looked inside."

"Oh, hang it all," Eustace said. "What else could be inside except a man?"

Cara glanced at Eustace. "Far more dangerous creatures."

Puddleglum nodded. "Skeleton. Or maybe nothing at all. Or nothing you could see. Invisible."

"Puddleglum, you do have the most horrible ideas," Jill told him.

"You're always expecting the worst and you're always wrong," Eustace added. "Let's think about those gentle Giants there as quickly as we can to Harfang."

"No, I don't think we should go to Harfang," Puddleglum replied. "And neither does Cara. It's not safe."

Cara nodded. "I say we continue our trek to the ruined city."

"Oh really," Jill retorted.

"Besides, Cara and I don't know what a gentle Giant is, and Aslan's signs made no mention of staying with Giants; gentle or otherwise," Puddleglum said.

"Now look here," Eustace stated. "We're sick of the wind, and the rain, and sleeping on cold hard earth. We want to enjoy a bit of warmth and comfort. Now we know you're supposed to be our guide, but if you and Cara won't come with us, then we'll have to-"

"Well then, we will go to Harfang." Jill smiled and Cara crossed her arms. "But on one condition. You must both give me and Cara your absolute promise that you won't tell the Giants that we come from Narnia, and you definitely won't tell anyone we're looking for Prince Rilian or that Cara is the King's sister. Shh."

"All right," Jill agreed. "We agree."

"Promise?" Puddleglum and Cara asked as the former wiggled his fingers at Jill.

"All right, all right, we promise."

"Both of you." Once again, Puddleglum wiggled his fingers; this time to Eustace.

Eustace gave a brief nod. "Both of us... promise."

"Forward," Puddleglum ordered quietly.

They continued their trek to the unplanned destination.