Prologue

Thanksgiving 2013

"How's school going, Audri?" Aiden asked as the family was gathered at the dining room table, digging into their plates filled with different kinds of foods apart from turkey.

"It's going fine, dad," Audri sighed.

Aiden looked unconvinced of her answer, "That doesn't sound good."

"I'm just ready to graduate."

"What's with the attitude?" Judah asked with a stern tone. He would always get on Audri about her attitude. She absolutely hated it.

"I don't have an attitude, Judah. I just," she sighed, not wanting to explain. "Can I be excused?"

Aiden shook his head, "No can do. We're having Thanksgiving dinner."

"I'm done eating," Audri mumbled. She knew she was ruining the holiday, but she'd rather be anywhere but at the dinner table with her family.

"You're just a brat, and you wonder why mom left!" Judith yelled, which was the start of the raging war between her and her sister.

Audri stood up from her chair, making it rock from the force, and threw her glass of water in Judith's face before storming off.

"Why would you even say that to her, Judith?" Aiden questioned as he got up to find Audri, leaving her to clean herself up as Judah helped.

"Audri, where are you going?" Aiden asked with a hint of worry in his voice when he noticed his daughter heading for the front door.

"I need some air. If I stay any longer I will hit her, dad!"

Aiden nodded, completely understanding her need of space. "You know she didn't mean it."

"No dad! She's right, I'm the reason why mom fucking left us!" Audri ran off with tears filling her eyes. She hopped into her car and frantically drove to see the only person who could make her forget about the pain. Tristen. She hadn't seen him since the summer before he went off to college. They really didn't get to spend much time together because they hid their relationship due to the fact that he's her brother's best friend.

She finally made it to Tristen's house after about ten minutes, since he lived just up the street. Running up the steps to his front door, she couldn't wait to see him. Once she rang the doorbell, almost five seconds later the door opened. She never felt so relieved to see his face.

"Audri!" he breathed out in surprise, but quickly realized that she didn't look so happy.

"Hey," Audri sniffled.

"Baby, why are you crying?" he stepped closer to her.

"I hate my fucking sister!"

He wiped her tears and held her for a minute, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I just want to be here with you," she snuggled into his chest.

"Let's go inside, it's chilly out."

They walked into his house and Audri talked with his parents for a little until dinner was finished before she was taken upstairs to Tristen's room.

"Tell me why you came to my house all upset," he said as he took off his shirt and sat down on the bed, pulling her onto his lap.

"Judith said I was the reason why our mom left," she started explaining.

He played with her fingers as she continued on about her failed Thanksgiving dinner.

"You poured water on her?" he snickered.

She scowled at him, "Is that all that you heard, Tristen?"