Chapter 32

As the Sun was just rising, Keyleth came into the room after grabbing a tray of food for Bambi. She would normally bring something for the both of them since they liked to have breakfast together, but the cooks had told her that the Commander had left late last night. She wondered what it could've been to make the Commander leave in the middle of the night, but none of the cooks knew either.

She was surprised to see Bambi was still in bed. Normally, Bambi was up and just getting ready for breakfast by the time she came in. The only time Bambi wasn't up this early was when she was sick. 'Oh no!' Keyleth worried. 'Is she getting sick again?'

She quickly went over to put the tray of food she had brought onto the side table and made her way towards Bambi. "Bambi?" she pressed her hand against Bambi's forehead, to feel for any fever but it wasn't burning up. "Are you alright?" she shook her lightly, trying to wake her up.

Bambi hummed as she opened her eyes, confused before she saw Keyleth was over her. "Keyleth?" her voice was raspy as she started to sit up slightly. "What's wrong?"

"You weren't awake when I came in and that only happened when you had gotten really sick." Keyleth rambled quickly. "I had to make sure you were okay and you didn't have a fever—"

"Keyleth, it's okay." Bambi sat up even more as she reached for Keyleth's shoulders. "I'm not sick, I promise. I just slept late because I was helping to see Lexa off."

Keyleth breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't think she could handle Bambi sick with Lexa gone. If she had gotten sick and Lexa came back, would she be blamed? "Oh, okay." She pulled away and started to open the curtains to bring in more sunlight into the room. "So, how did you sleep?"

Bambi could remember her dream vividly, the heat of Lexa's skin on hers and the noises that would spill into each other's mouths

Bambi could remember her dream vividly, the heat of Lexa's skin on hers and the noises that would spill into each other's mouths. Those last moments stayed wondering in her mind and transferred into her dreams. "It was good, though it was hard to fall asleep at first. I've gotten too used to having Lexa next to me." She sighed, worried about Lexa.

Bambi's confession made Keyleth feel bad. She could see the slight bags under her eyes from not having enough sleep. "Do you want to stay in bed then?"

Bambi shook her head. "No, there's too much to do and with Lexa gone, it's down to me to take care of certain things."

"Well, I'm sure she'll be back by lunch. She's always been known to take care of things quickly and winning, no matter what."

Her words brought the worry down some, but not completely. "You're right. Maybe we should do something for when she comes ba—"

The door sudden swung open and slammed against the wall, the noise so loud that it caused Keyleth to drop the tray in fear as Bambi jumped.

There at the doorway was Tara, gasping for breath with the other guards just outside looking in confused. "Ba-Bam—" She gasped as she got closer. "Bambi—"