Chapter 10

Lexa spends days thinking things over, spending more time with Bambi over advice—who kept reminding her that she had advisors for this reason every time, but she helped her every time she came around.

There were many reasons why Bambi would be a great addition to the council, but there were also many reasons why having her on the council would cause unrest within her council.

She knew her council did not like Bambi and would ignore her ideas many times, but they thought the ideas were an excellent choice when Lexa would repeat the ideas after going to her for advice.

Unfortunately, someone had noticed the two were spending a lot of time together.

A handmaiden noticed and told another handmaiden in passing, not knowing that someone was listening and spread the gossip like a forest fire around Polis.

The Commander had taken a Sky Person as a lover. How romantic/disgusting.

It was a mixed message, but it had a strong reaction.

When Titus heard the rumor, he had quickly marched towards where he knew the Commander was.

At the moment, Lexa and Bambi were writing to Nyko about how Skaikru finished making his medicine machine—or pressure cooker as Bambi jokingly called it—and that he was needed to look it over.

Suddenly the door flew open to show a furrow browed Titus. The anger switched to confusion in a split second at the sight.

When Titus open the doors, he had expected something entirely different than what he was seeing. He had expected to find them in a compromising position but instead he found them at the table going over some papers.

"Titus? What's wrong?" Lexa asks, thinking the worse when he comes storming in. Had there been an attack?

Titus says nothing at first, since Bambi is in the room, but he quickly makes an excuse. "The Nightbloods are looking for you."

That prompts Bambi to start gathering up papers. "Thank you again for the help but I remembered I was needed at the healers after this." She bows to Lexa before leaving quickly, trying to skirt around Titus.

Titus watches Lexa watch Bambi leave and speaks up as soon as she does. "Spending most of your time with that Sky girl is going to be seen as a weakness." He told her bluntly.

"That Sky girl is the reason we have stronger medicine and a stronger alliance with the other clans due to her plans." Lexa quickly defends Bambi, speaking only the truth.

Titus tightens his jaw and opens his mouth to say more but the doors open and the Nightbloods come in.

Lexa stares him down. "I must train the Nightbloods, you may go now."

Titus leaves, angry at how the confrontation went and how Lexa could not see that danger that the Sky girl brought.

Lexa spots the Nightblood that had arrived a couple of days ago holding an familiar item. It was the doll that Bambi was making. The doll looked like the small girl—Natalia if Lexa remembered correctly.

"Natalia," Lexa's voice made the girl look up and hold the doll close. "Where did you get the doll?"

"The pretty lady made it for me, Heda." Natalia played with the doll's hair. "May I keep it?"

Lexa remembered that Natalia's family had been killed by sickness and had been found nearly starving to death. She was alone. Then she remembered what Bambi said about her own doll. She gave a small smile. "I was not going to take her from you, but you must take care of her."