Chapter 17

News of the soon to be marriage between the Commander of the 12 clans and the Ambassador of Skaikru spread to the other clans like a wildfire

News of the soon to be marriage between the Commander of the 12 clans and the Ambassador of Skaikru spread to the other clans like a wildfire. And of course, there were good and bad rumors going around but no one dared to say anything after another rumor came out that someone had gone missing after saying something opposing to the marriage.

But in Polis, there was more happiness for their Commander and the Ambassador—mostly it came from the handmaidens. They were ecstatic to get together and formulate a plan—a gift for Bambi.

Whatever free time they had, they spent making the gift by using the skills passed down to them from their lessons to make something truly unique and beautiful for the tiny woman from the stars.

It took them a couple of weeks, a lot of fighting between them on which designs to do and the length, but once they had finished, they headed to Bambi's room with the gift and the hope that she would like it.

Bambi was fixing her wedding dress, trying out a more daring cut since the other one didn't look too great with the dress style, when the door was knocked on. "Coming!" she quickly grabbed a large sheet and draped it to cover barely done gown. When Keyleth opened the door, Bambi was making sure the dress was covered.

The handmaidens quickly looked at where they knew the gown was kept, but was disappointed to see it covered once again.

"Hello ladies, how can I help you?" Bambi brought their attention back to her. "Is this visit for more lessons?"

"No," One of the Handmaidens step forward. "We came to give you a gift."

At those words, Bambi's smile turned into a surprise look. "A gift?"

The handmaidens brought forth their gift, all bright smiles as they handed it to her.

Bambi looked down at the folded bundle of lace, the detail beautiful and made with love—she could tell they spent a while on it. "You made a lot of lace! And look at how lovely the patterns are!"

"It's a veil!" The youngest handmaiden bounced in place. "For the wedding!"

"You all made me a veil for my wedding?" Bambi looked at the handmaidens, in shock once again before she gave them a teary smile. "Thank you so much, I didn't even think of a veil! You ladies always think ahead." She unfolded the veil, falling in love with it even more when she really saw all the work they put into the details. "This is so beautiful, the perfect veil."

"Can we see your dress? We promise not to tell."

"Emmi!" One of the older handmaidens scolded one of the younger ones—Emmi.

Bambi thinks it over and caves, very touched by their gift. "It's alright, I think you should see how the veil would look with the dress." She moved over to where the dress was and removed the sheet.

The gasps that came from the handmaidens worried Bambi a bit. Was it too much? Too little? Or was it completely wrong for a wedding?

 Was it too much? Too little? Or was it completely wrong for a wedding?