Chapter 33

The birds singing so early in the morning was the only sound that Bambi wanted to hear—well, that and Lexa breathing as she slept next to her in the warm bed in her tent

The birds singing so early in the morning was the only sound that Bambi wanted to hear—well, that and Lexa breathing as she slept next to her in the warm bed in her tent. Yet here she was, cold and standing in front of Titus and Gustus as the two were talking to her like she was a child.

She was so close to zoning them out, thinking about how warm Lexa must be and how she would be cuddling up against her for warmth, but she snapped back in when Titus said something that caught her attention.

"She must get back to Polis as soon as possible—"

"Absolutely not." Bambi returned the glare that Titus sent her way, knowing he was annoyed that he was cut off and she said no to his idea. "She needs to rest, which means she isn't moving until she's better."

"What she needs is to be at Polis."

"She is still too weak to be moved—she can't get out of bed without help! We are to remain here until she is well enough to move on her own!"

Gustus stepped forward, glaring down at Bambi at her tone. "Who do you think you are to be commanding us?"

Bambi wasn't scared as she glared right back up at him. "She needs rest, and I am making sure of that."

"The people need to see she is fine—"

"She isn't fine! She can't see and is wounded!" Bambi wanted to rip her hair out, she was tired of repeating herself to these two. "How would the people see she is fine when she clearly isn't?!"

"If I may speak on this," Healer Lockard stepped forward and bowed to Bambi first before Gustus and Titus. "As a healer, I must agree with the Commander's wife."

Bambi looked over to Titus and Gustus, a forced smile on her lips

Bambi looked over to Titus and Gustus, a forced smile on her lips. It felt really good that someone was on her side against them—especially in front of them.

"The Commander needs to rest and heal, if not, she might tear something and die."

Titus scoffed. "She would not die from that—"

"Then it seems you do not remember Heda Nic, who passed on the way back to Polis after a battle and did not rest to get his wounds checked." Healer Lockard locked eyes with Titus. "And if I remember correctly, it was the Flamekeeper who pushed him and was blamed for his death—which resulted in his, did it not?"