Dream root

Stiles paced the spare bedroom as Lydia lay on the bed. "She really shouldn't go alone. Dream root can be dangerous. She could get trapped in her own mind."

"Should you go with her?" Allison asked as she brushed a strand of hair from Lydia's face.

"Maybe somebody should."

Derek's jaw clenched. He didn't want Stiles going into Lydia's mind alone.

"And what if you get separated?" Scott glanced worriedly between Stiles and Lydia.

"Look I did a lot of research on this stuff years ago. A few people mentioned having anchors, like a trail."

"A trail?" Erica frowned.

"Yeah, so someone goes with Lydia. Someone goes with me, and then two people anchor them outside, so they can pull them out."

"We're both close with Lydia, we can go together." Allison offered.

"Shouldn't you guys take an alpha with you?" Erica asked, glancing to Derek.

"Honestly, they'd be best as external anchors. They'll be able to pull us out easier probably." Stiles avoided Derek's eyes. He could practically feel Derek's disdain for the idea.

"I'm close with both of you though..." Scott looked between Stiles and Allison.

"Derek is close with Stiles, you should go with Allison," Erica said.

Stiles licked at his bottom lip, he wondered if Derek could smell the nerves on him. He wasn't keen on this idea but he knew it might be their best option for getting answers.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Derek growled as Stiles and Allison lay on the bed next to Lydia. The three of them clasped hands.

"We're out of options Der," Stiles avoided his eyes.

"Okay, so they said three drops under the tongue should be plenty for a short trip." Erica held up the jar with the dropper.

Scott knelt next to Allison, taking her hand. "I've got you."

Derek knelt next to Stiles but hesitated. "I can hear your heart racing," he muttered as if everyone in the room couldn't hear him.

Stiles reached for his hand, slipping his fingers between his.

Flashes of their fingers intertwined like this less than an hour ago in the shower made Stiles bite down on his lower lip.

"It'll be fine." He squeezed Derek's hand.

The taste of the dream root was bitter, like an unripe walnut. He waited for something to happen but it didn't seem to be working. He stared at the ceiling and let out a sigh.

"Are you sure you dosed us enough?" Stiles asked, looking over to where Erica was. But she was gone.

Stiles tried to squeeze Derek's hand, but he wasn't there. Sitting up, he looked down to see Lydia and Allison both follow suit.

"I guess it worked?" Allison asked.

"What now?" Lydia glanced around the spare room. It was as it was when they laid down.

"Maybe we try leaving?" Allison released Lydia's hand and reached for the door.

"Allison wait—" Before the words could finish leaving Stiles' mouth, there was a flash.

The spare room Stiles had spent many nights in was now the reserve where the old Hale house had once stood.

"Allison? Lydia?" He called to the open air. No response.