This room

Stiles couldn't stop the stupid grin that sat perched on his lips. His hands gripped the steering wheel. It felt strange being behind the wheel of the camaro. He'd ridden in it hundreds of times over the years, but he'd never driven it.

He glanced at Derek, who was smirking at him.

"What?"

"You're just... cute."

Stiles' brows rose. Derek calling him cute was not something he thought he'd ever hear. Course, he also never thought Derek Hale would be his boyfriend. The idea seemed fake. Like it was a fantasy dream he had yet to wake up from. But who was he kidding? His dreams were never this good.

However, the reality of what they were about to walk into reminded him that reality wasn't all rainbows and butterflies either. There was still a supernatural creature out for Stiles' head.

"You ready for this?" Stiles asked as he pulled up to the station.

"I've dealt with worse," Derek said stoically.

Stiles frowned. When would the world stop using Derek as its punching bag? All people ever seemed to do was use and abuse him. He silently swore that so long as he drew breath no one would ever hurt Derek again. At least not without going through him first.

Stiles followed Derek inside, fighting the urge to touch Derek. He wasn't sure if he just wanted the world to know Derek was his or if he was being protective. It felt a little like both if he was being honest.

"Derek, Stiles," Noah greeted them from the front office where he stood talking to Parrish. "Thanks for coming up."

"Let's get this over with," Derek straightened his shoulders.

"Parrish will take your statement, and hey..." Noah put a hand on Derek's shoulder. "If this is too difficult, I'll tell the boss where they can shove it."

Derek gave a gentle smile. "It's fine. I know it keeps the higher-ups off your back to have all your paperwork properly done."

Noah smiled and gave Derek's shoulder a squeeze.

Stiles' stomach flipped. Derek was truly an amazing man.

"Stiles, can I have a word?" Noah asked, releasing Derek.

Stiles shot Derek a concerned look. He wanted to be there for him.

Derek gave a soft, nearly imperceptible smile. "I'll catch up with you when I'm done."

Stiles bit down on his bottom lip and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"I'll only be a few minutes," Derek assured him.

Stiles gave a nod and fought the urge to give him a quick kiss before following his dad down the hall.

The air between him and his father was palpable as they took their seats in the sheriff's office. This room had become a sort of vault that held all his secrets. He and his dad had had some incredibly difficult conversations in this room. This room is where he found out about his mother's illness. This room is where Stiles told his dad he was bisexual. This room is where his dad told him he was dating again. This room is where Stiles told his dad he was moving to Quantico. This room is where he told his dad he was moving back. It would only make sense for this room to be where Stiles told his dad he was dating Derek Hale. But he couldn't. Not yet. It was safer if no one knew.

"How are you doing?" Noah asked, his tone cautious. It was a tone he often used when he worried about the conversation turning into an argument.

"Honestly, I'm good." Stiles nodded. It wasn't a lie. Sure, things were a mess, and he was actively being hunted, but the weight of his relationship with Derek was gone.