Distraction

Stiles swallowed and pursed his lips to hold back a smile. He was flattered. Really. Adrian was a good looking guy, but he wasn't Derek.

He was already thinking of a rejection but paused. What if Derek thought the reason he was saying no was because of him? If he gave Adrian his number it would at least give the impression that he wasn't hoping for more with Derek.

Without a word, he held out his hand. Guilt coiled in his gut at the excitement on Adrian's face. Maybe this hadn't been such a good idea.

Stiles debated typing his number in wrong, but he was friends with Danny. It would be more insulting than letting him down gently.

Stiles handed the phone back with a smile.

Scott tugged on Stiles' arm sleeve gently as the pair turned to catch up to where Derek had already headed.

"So where do we start?" Stiles asked, climbing into the passenger side of his jeep.

Derek sat in the driver's side with a pinched look.

"There's a chance she left on foot, right? The camera's didn't see her get into a car, right?" Scott asked Stiles.

"Not that was mentioned." Stiles shrugged.

"Woods maybe?"

"Could we go to the bar and catch and old scent or is it long gone by now?" Stiles glanced between Derek and Scott.

"Probably long gone," Scott said. "But if there's a supernatural creature involved, then we'd likely smell them, right?" his eyes met Derek's in the mirror.

"We don't know there's anything supernatural going on. Seems like she left willingly. Especially if your theory about the keys is right. She gave them to her friends for a reason." Derek pointed out. He tried to keep the irritation out of his tone. He didn't mean to be irritated, but seeing Stiles with Adrian had soured his mood.

"I'm telling you, these disappearances aren't just some random serial killer. There's something going on."

Scott squinted. "I dunno. Maybe Derek's right. Plus your dad would tell us if something was suspicious."

Stiles let out a huff and rolled his eyes. "You know my dad didn't want me coming back to town after the academy. I think he'd try to cover his own murder if it convinced me to leave again."

The jeep fell quiet.

"You really are too good for this town," Derek said, his eyes staring out the windshield st the barren road.

"This town needs me."

"That may be true, but it's not fair." Scott's tone was quiet, like he was apologizing.

"I want to be here. I want to help. I left and all I could think about was you guys. When I found out you were handling things without me, I felt..." Stiles trailed off. He hated the empty feeling that came with being away from Beacon Hills.

"I know." Scott nodded. "I'm just saying, maybe you're looking for a supernatural explanation to justify you being here."

Stiles' tongue swiped across his bottom lip.

Derek could smell the frustration on Stiles.

"It's kind of like Senior year, remember? You were so worried about us all splitting up that you were determined something supernatural was going on."

"And I was right." Stiles flailed an arm.

Derek frowned. "You always are."

Stiles blinked at Derek. "I'm sorry?"