Kai

Stiles pressed the key into the lock of his front door as Kai pulled out his gun. The door creaked as it swung on its hinges. The inside of the house was dark.

Stiles stepped aside letting Kai go in first. He flipped on the light, letting it pour through the small kitchen as he slowly stepped in, scanning for anything out of place or anyone hiding.

"Stay behind me," Kai ordered.

Stiles did as he was told. He gripped the wall for support as dizziness threatened him. He stayed no less than a foot from Kai as he swept the house. Checking for someone waiting to pounce.

"I think it's clear," Kai said, once he's cleared the house. They now stood in the middle of Stiles' room. "I'll be posted up outside if you need me."

"What's your deal?" Stiles asked, causing Kai to pause at his door.

"I'm sorry?"

Stiles kicked off his shoes and sat on his bed, gripping the covers as a dizzy spell washed over him. "What's your deal?" He repeated.

"I don't have a deal." Kai frowned.

"You show up here knowing about... things." Stiles waved a hand through the air half-heartedly. He would be glad when he didn't feel so sluggish.

Kai didn't move from where he stood in the door. He eyed Stiles like he was assessing him.

"Listen, you can either tell me or I can run a background check on you. I figured I'd be polite and just ask."

"Man, you're quite something aren't you?" Kai huffed a laugh.

"I don't trust people like you. You show up, get a job at one of the most dangerous stations in beacon county. Claim to know about Derek and Scott and then save my life. You have motives and I want to know them." Stiles was not in a place to play coy. He wanted answers.

Kai gave an impressed raise of his brows and stepped further into the room.

Stiles watched his every move. If he had to defend himself, the closest thing was a lamp. Though, he was pretty sure he could wrench Kai's gun from him.

"I lived in a small town in Virginia. Mystic Falls."

Stiles' brows quirked.

"You know the place." Kai smirked.

Stiles didn't respond.

"My sister was bit a few years back."

Stiles' jaw dropped. "She's a werewolf."

Kai swallowed, his eyes staring out the window as if recalling a memory. "She was," he said quietly.

"What happened?" Stiles dared ask.

"Hunters," Kai spat. He turned to look at Stiles, a sneer on his face.

Stiles gave a sympathetic frown. "I'm sorry." He'd seen a similar look on Derek's face.

"She never hurt anyone. I found her body. I was so blind by anger and grief. What was the point of being a deputy if I couldn't help?"

Stiles knew what Kai was feeling.

"Sheriff Forbes knew about my sister. She told me that if I wanted to help others like my sister, she knew a place that worked to protect people like her. Here. I did some research first. Learned about the Hales. I moved here about a month before taking the job at the station. I paid attention. I knew what to look for. The slight lift of a head to catch a scent. Irritable behavior on the full moon. Suspicious activity on the police radio. A glint in the eyes. Subtle things I hadn't known to look for before my sister. Scott, Derek... the way you were always involved."