Bloodstain

When Stiles and Derek found Lydia, she was barefoot in her pajamas, which were nothing but a pair of lace trimmed shorts and a tank top.

"Finally, what took you so long?" Lydia snapped upon seeing Stiles.

"You weren't exactly close to home, Lyds." Stiles pulled off his hoodie, wrapping it around her shoulders which she gladly accepted.

"Where the hell am I?" She asked.

Stiles glanced to Derek who was kneeling next to bloodstained underbrush.

"You're on the edge of town," Stiles said.

Lydia's lips parted in surprise. "I walked to the edge of town in my sleep?"

"Was it in your sleep?" Derek asked, his eyes scanning the darkened woods around them.

"I don't remember. I just remember waking up here." Lydia shrugged, pointing to the ground near the bloodstain.

"Do you hear that?" Derek asked.

Stiles and Lydia both listened for whatever Derek was hearing.

"I don't hear anything." Lydia frowned. "It's quiet."

"It's too quiet. There's no sound. No birds, no deer, no wildlife." Stiles took a step towards Lydia and Derek.

"Something spooked them." Derek nodded.

"I'm guessing by the look on your face, that's not animal blood?" Stiles gestured to the bloody leaves.

Derek shook his head.

"Oh god." Lydia turned away. She'd been hoping it was just an animal.

"There's a trail." Derek nodded deeper into the woods. "I want you two to go back to the car. Stiles, you remember how to get there."

"What? No," Stiles scoffed. "I'm not leaving you out here alone."

"Lydia needs to get out of the cold."

"I'm with Stiles on this, we're not leaving you alone. I'm fine." Lydia ignored the chatter of her teeth.

Derek's jaw clenched. "Then we wait for the others."

"The trail might be cold by then. What if we find one of the missing people? What if we find whoever did this?" Stiles objected, flailing his arms animatedly at the blood.

"I am not taking a human and a half-naked banshee into the woods to chase god knows what," Derek snapped.

"Oh, but you'll go alone?" Stiles countered.

"You said yourself, it's too quiet. If something was out there, you'd hear it." Lydia pulled the jacket tighter around her as she stepped towards the bloodstain. "I was led here for a reason."

Derek let out a heavy sigh. He should have known he didn't stand a chance in hell winning an argument with Stiles and Lydia.

"Stay close," he growled out as he stood up.

Stiles couldn't help the triumphant smile that spread across his face.

Lydia linked her arm through Stiles' before following after Derek.

"Here." Stiles kicked off his shoes. "This should help."

Lydia slipped her dirty feet into Stiles' way too big shoes. "Thanks." It wasn't practical but it was better than stepping on sharp underbrush.

Derek led them deeper into the woods before holding up a hand, signaling for them to stop.

Lydia's grip on Stiles' arm tightened.