Detective

It was a cool night, which made the warmth from the bonfire a welcoming sensation.

Stiles had arrived early hoping to get alcohol in his system before he had to witness Derek with other people.

"Stiles," Danny called across the field before jogging towards him.

Stiles would never get used to Danny being friendly with him. He had vivid memories of Danny ignoring him in class or making mocking remarks on the lacrosse field. Though that was years ago and they'd all grown up.

"Heya, Danny."

"Just you?" Danny asked, glancing around as if to spot the other members of the pack.

"For now. The others are on their way."

"Great. Come on, I'll introduce you to some friends of mine." Danny gestured for Stiles to follow him.

Stiles noted he was being led by the table of alcohol and swiped a beer bottle from one of the ice buckets as he followed Danny to a group of four.

"Stiles, this is Angela, Morgan, Adrian, and Kyle." Danny introduced.

Stiles wasn't surprised to see Danny still hung around the jock types. Angela looked like she could bench press Stiles with one hand.

"They're on my basketball team."

"You play basketball?" Stiles rose a brow at Danny.

"At the rec center. You should join us sometime." Adrian offered, sticking out a hand to shake Stiles'.

"Oh, I'm not the sporty type." Stiles shook his head as he took Adrian's hand.

"Oh come on, you look like you have an athletic build." Adrian reached up and squeezed Stiles' bicep gently.

Stiles snorted a laugh. "Athletic is not a word that has been used to describe me."

"You're like a cable under here." Adrian's hand was still on Stiles' arm.

"Okay, enough flirting, Adrian. He just got here." Danny nudged his friend's arm.

Adrian flashed Stiles a wide grin as he removed his hand.

Heat rose in Stiles' cheeks. He wouldn't normally be opposed to attention from someone who looked like Adrian. He had dark spiky hair and light brown eyes that stood out against his olive skin. However, he wasn't Derek.

"Didn't Derek play basketball?" Danny asked.

Stiles nodded. "Yeah. Been a while though."

"Who's Derek?" Morgan asked.

"He should be here soon." Stiles glanced over his shoulder, wondering how far behind him the rest of the pack was.

"I see Scott." Danny pointed to where Scott was indeed walking up.

"How do you know Danny?" Kyle asked when Danny went off to get Scott.

"Highschool. We actually played lacrosse together."

"So you are athletic." Adrian grinned.

"I didn't say I was good," Stiles chuckled.

"Didn't say you were good at what?" Scott asked as he approached with the rest of the pack behind him.

"Lacrosse."

"Oh you got pretty good." Scott clapped a hand on Stiles' back.

"So, athletic and modest," Adrian smirked.

Stiles swallowed, sure that the blush on his cheeks was obvious.

"Modesty and Stiles?" Derek snorted.