1

Coraline Chambers

Coraline couldn't decide whether or not she was excited about the trip. She used to love school, she excelled. Then a visitor arrived in New Ham and after realizing all of the bad things the man brought to the town, Oscar Chambers and Vincent Bingham chased the man out not knowing only one would return.

Harry Bingham's father was the sheriffs deputy, he got shot straight through the heart. Dying soon after.
Coraline Chambers' father was the Sheriff of West Ham, the bullet went straight through his body into Vincent's heart. Oscar was paralyzed from the waist down. Coraline imagined that day over and over, replaying the phone call from Harry and his mother, the calls from the hospital. Over and over.

"Coraline! Are you listening?" Oscar asked his daughter, waving his hand in front of her eyes. She snapped out of it quickly and nodded. "What were you saying dad?"

"I asked if you were excited for tomorrow, a week away huh?" Her dad asked, looking over at his prized possession. She nodded looking back at the tv. "You don't seem very excited kid." He replied to her sadly.

She shrugged leaning further back into the couch. "Just don't want you to be alone too long dad." He smiled at her and pulled her over to him. "Darling, you are my child. You do not need to worry about me and just have fun okay? If I need anything at all Karen can help me." He told her, kissing his daughters forehead.

Cory nodded, blinking away the tears as her dad wrapped his arm around her shoulder and held her close. "I love you kid. Thank you for always helping me out." He whispered as he turned up the volume.

The two continued to watch the movie in silence, laughing every now and then at whatever Kevin Hart said.

"Hey help me get up the stairs kid." He said as he shook her awake. She nodded groggily and helped him into the wheelchair

After getting him in the mechanical chair she waited for him to get to the top before she walked up the stairs and helped him into the other wheelchair.

"Cora are you still taking those classes up in New Haven?" Her dad asked as she put him to bed. "Yeah, they're ready for me to graduate. But I don't know if I still want to go there." Cory told him as she sat beside him. His face contorted to confusion, "What? No! Coraline, Yale wants to give you a full ride kid, once you get there you will be much happier. I promise." He assured her, holding onto her hand.

Cory shook her head no as she looked over at him. "No because then who would take care of you? Karen is the mayor, she can't take care of you AND the town. I'm smart dad. I can find a way to make money." She told him standing up. "I'm not gonna let you fuck up your future like this Coraline. You are an absolute brilliant girl. And I know damn well you didn't get that from me or your mom so you better make the most of your intelligence. Now go to bed kid, I love you." He kissed her forehead and nodded her of. "I love you too old man." She whispered back. Oscar laughed loudly at her.

Once she got back to her room she locked the door and put a record on. Laying on her bed and staring up at the ceiling as the cold air from the fan swept over her body.

She had always wondered what her life would've been like if that man hadn't came to West Ham. If she had cried stomach ache and her dad stayed home that day. Would Harry Bingham's dad had gone still? Would he still have died?

She also wondered how life would had turned out if her mother hadn't died when she was younger.

But then she remembered what Kelly Aldriche always said, 'Don't worry about the what if's, worry about the now.' or some shit like that.

The two had been relatively close before she and Harry got together, though Kelly wasn't crossing any bounds or girl codes, she hadn't known. Not many did. She barely even knew of course.