17

Coraline Chambers

Few months have passed since Coraline announced the medical classes, Elle Tomkins, Helena Wu, Lucas Gio and Franklin-Frankie-Jackson all being the last four students; beating out the other 14 with the highest scores. Becca had her baby girl, Eden.

Cory sat at her desk as her Taylor Swift record played, trying to decide what they would do at the clinic today.

She groaned, smacking her head as she leaned back in her chair, spinning around.

She looked at the photos on the wall, smiling.

Then she stopped at the prom photos, standing up and taking them off the wall, examining them closely.

She missed Harry dearly, her body still aching for his touch, her heart still aching for his smell, cologne and body wash.

But she knew that things weren't over between them, after their night on New Years Eve, the touches, the kisses, the sounds.

Harry promised that night, laying nude beside her that he would get fully clean for her, wouldn't touch a pill until the day he died. And so she let him be, let him clean himself up on his own while she waited. She just wanted the boy to be happy, and healthy.

She smiled as her phone dinged, picking it up and seeing Elle's name.

'I had a lot of fun w you and Grizz yesterday, thank you. '

She replied back before walking down the stairs and grabbing her keys and driving towards the church.

She let the cool January wind pass by her as she sat next to Cassandra's grave, smiling down at it.

"Hey, Cass." She whispered, sliding her hand over the patch of flowers.

"I was looking at the prom photos earlier, I think that was the happiest I've ever seen you." Cory laid down on the grass, picking a flower.

"That night was amazing, up until it ended. I think about it every night, about how happy you were when I left. I wish I could go back and stay with you, help you clean up."

She scoffed, shaking her head as she laughed.

"Shut up! I know I wouldn't have been able to stop it, but I'd like to think I could. I like to think maybe they wouldn't have shot you, and I could've jumped in front of you like a marvel movie. Yeah! Like Bucky and Steve. I would jump in front of a bullet for you like Bucky fell off the train tracks for Steve." She giggled, holding her chest.

"But whatever, you know. I can't change it, I can't go back to that night. So I'm just sitting here, talking to you like this." Her voice began to shake as she spoke, sitting up.

"I'm gonna go talk to Emily now, my co-captain misses me." She laughed, walking over to Emily's grave, still holding the flower.

"What's up cap, I miss playing with you. I can't believe it's been over a year since our championship game man." She said, remembering the night of the game.

The score was 11-11, the students, parents and friends gripping their seats.

Cory waved down Marnie who was dribbling the ball up the field.

The girl on the opposing team stood in front of Marnie, kicking her foot out as she tried to trip the girl.

"Fuck off." Marnie grumbled, gently elbowing her as she passed it off to Cory

Cory stopped it quickly, dodging the girls hands, elbowing her side.

She fell to the ground, whining