4

Coraline Chambers

Cory barely leaves her home in the days following the death of Emily, other than to check on Cassandra's heart which Gordie has mainly taken over and the occasional meetings as well as seeing Harry.

But Cory finally feels like she's come out of her slum as she parks in front of the green and steps out of the car, walking over to Harry who was standing next to Campbell. "Hey Sloane." Harry smiled widely at the girl, pulling her in for a hug. "How have you been?" He asked her, resting his arm on her shoulder.

Cory shrugged, looking up at him. "Been living, I guess." She answered him, rolling her eyes as they land on Lexie who was doing whatever Lexie does. "What a fucking bitch." Cory sneered, watching her meditate. "She's fucking... weird." Harry laughed loudly, staring at her. "The bitch needs to get her brain checked." Cory grumbled as she nodded over to her car at Cassandra.

Cassandra joined her on the roof of her car as they soaked up the sunlight.

"So... you and Harry? What's going on?" Cassandra asked her, smirking. Cory gasped as she shook her head. "Oh no, no no no no. No. Me and Harry, we're just friends. Have been since we were born. Our dads were too, just always been that way. He's still hung up on Kelly, anyways." Cory blurted with a laugh. "Yeah, okay. When Harry and I were friends, you were the topic of all of his conversations." Cassandra told her, looking over at her as Cory's cheek reddened. Cassandra pointed at them and laughed, "No! Cass! It's from the sun! Shut up! Stop!" She screamed and giggled, facing away from her. "Awww, it's okay. I won't tell anyone." Cassandra winked, settling back down.

Harry stood there, watching as she laughed next to Cassandra, her face growing red from something the girl said. This was one of the times Harry was thankful for Cassandra Pressman, because the girl had always found a way to make Coraline laugh like a kid again.

"How has your heart been? Gordie treating you good?" Cory asked her, laying back down on her back. "Yeah. Miss you though, I wish you'd still come and help him out. You understand it all better." Cassandra frowned, bumping her waist. "I know, I know. But I wanted to give y'all space, y'all are cute." She held her hands up defensively with a smile as she spoke. Cassandra laughed loudly, nodding.

She sighed, looking up at the sky then her face contorted into confusion, pointing at it.

"You guys, look!"
"Woah, check it out!"
"Look!"

Voices were heard throughout the green as everyone stared up at the sky

"What the fuck..." Cory whispered as she sat up, staring

"What is that?" Cassandra asked her. Cory just shrugged, looking over at Gordie and Bean. Gordie waved them over so Cory pulled Cassandra off the hood of her car and joined Allie, Gordie and Bean on the gazebo.

"We asked for a sign!" Lexie announced, Cory scoffed "dumb bitch" under her breath, "What does it mean?" A boy asked.

"It doesn't mean anything! It's a fucking-solar eclipse. It's not a sign, it's a predictable astronomical event." Gordie yelled out. Cassandra looked back up at the sky and grabbed onto Cory's arm.

"Just don't stare at it and— and we'll be fine." He told everyone.

Cory looked over at Harry who had a 'what the fuck' look on his face.

Cassandra stood next to Gordie so Cory ran over to Harry.

"Hey, fugitive tonight. You coming? Supposed to be the biggest one ever." Harry asked her, holding her arm.

Cory shrugged, "I'll get back to you on that." She winked.

Harry rolled his eyes and lightly pushed her away, laughing. Cory was called back over by Cassandra so she waved by to Harry.