25

Coraline Chambers

Cory woke up in the bath, the water now freezing cold as winter is approaching in New Ham.

"Fuck." She hissed, standing up quickly, wrapping the towel around her body.

She didn't hear the constant buzz on her bedside table, unknowing to the horror Kelly Aldriche was facing down at the clinic.

Cory shivered, drying herself off before walking into her closet and pulling out the brown sweater and jeans, pulling a coat on over.

She tripped as she put her socks on, grunting while lifting herself up onto her body. "Shit fuck." She muttered, rubbing her knee. She threw herself onto her bed, breathing heavily.

"Today will be a good day. I'm sure of it." She told herself, walking down the stairs and into the kitchen.

She started a pot of coffee, pulling out the creamer and her mug. As she set the cup down, she heard scratching at the front door.

"What the fuck..." she whispered, walking towards the door. She opened it slowly, seeing a white dog standing on her porch.

"Hey boy... what are you doing here." She spoke quietly, watching the dog try to jump onto her. He jumped again, his tongue sticking out and tail wagging.

A confused look was painted on her face as she saw the saddlebag swinging around his body

"What is this..?" She muttered, opening the front door wider and shooing him in. She sat down on the couch, tapping her lap so he could jump up besides her.

She unclipped the saddle bag and pulled it off of him, grabbing his face. "What are you doing here mr man." She cooed, rubbing between his ears.

"Oh my, you are so cute!" She exclaimed, gently squeezing his face. He licked her palms then laid his head on her lap, leading her to open the saddle bag.

She pulled out a piece of paper, quickly unfolding it.

'To whoever is reading this, this is Sheriff Chambers, Mayor Bingham and Cassandra Pressman. Cassandra informed us of where you guys were. It turns out whoever dies in your universe, turns up back here. Cassandra returned weeks ago, after Emily. And now Chris, Jessica, Shay, and many more have returned. All of them telling the same story Emily and Cassandra told. But, Greg Dewey and Lexie Pemberton have not returned. Cassandra and Karen think that whoever kills another, does not make it back here. Cassandra saw this dog before she died, then saw him again when she got back here. If you find this, then our theory is true. Please, whoever is reading this, come back to us. Read our words, okay. If you die, you will come back. You will be home. Please, send something back with Jasper. He can travel between here and there. We will see you guys soon, we love you all.'

Cory sat there as the tears ran down her face. Home, they would be home soon.

She looked over at the dog whose name was apparently Jasper. "You saved us!" She exclaimed, nuzzling her face into his neck.

"I have to go! I have to go tell everyone!" She yelled, patting the dog one last time before running out of the door with her keys in her hand.

She drove silently towards the clinic, rhythmically tapping the wheel, watching the snowflakes slowly fall all around.

Her older car did good for the last 2 years, survived the winters and the snow. It was something about the New Ham winter that shook her to her core, the icey roads caused her to shiver just at the thought.

She heard a phantom buzz and looked over at the passenger seat, realizing her phone was missing.

She continued to drive though, not worried of hitting anyone because of how ghost-town New Ham had turned in to.