19

Coraline Chambers

"So... it's not poisoning?" Kelly asked, fixing her mask. Coraline and Gordie shrugged. Cory sighed, rubbing her face.

"No, we don't think so. I think... it's just a virus." Cory whispered, looking back over at the boy who's name they found to be Chris.

"And you've talked to his sister?" Kelly asked them. Gordie nodded quickly, clearing his throat. "Yes, she said he wasn't showing any kind of symptoms prior to yesterday." Gordie explained, quickly running over to Chris who began to shake violently.

"Chris, hey, hey. Calm down. You're okay." Cory whispered, slowly pulling the tube out of his throat and brushing his hair out of his face. "So Chris, how long have you lived in Connecticut?" Cory asked, gently removing the IV, holding her hand out for a new one.

Chris cleared his throat, wincing. "About three years maybe. Mom and Dad didn't like Texas anymore, said it was getting too red for them. They were always far left, liberals." He croaked, laughing. He began to cough again, loudly.

Cory sniffled, rubbing his back as Kelly held the bed pan under his chin, letting him cough the blood up.

The three 'doctors' heard footsteps so Kelly quickly shut the curtain before turning to the family, Becca, Sam and Eden.

Kelly smiled brightly under mask before walking over to the baby.

"How's my favorite little gi-""Kel, don't touch her." Cory cut her off, pulling her away.

Becca gave a confused stare as Eden babbled in her arms.

Kelly nodded quickly, understanding.

"Um, we need to wash up before we give baby girl a check up." Cory gave her a tight smile, leading the family to a back room.

"Here, get her into just her diaper. We'll be right back." Kelly instructed.

The two girls walked to the staff room and stopped in front of the sink.

Cory bit her cheek, staring in the mirror.

"We should shower. We don't need to expose Eden to whatever this is." Cory said, taking her scrubs off. Kelly nodded, following suit.

They both got down into their undergarments before walking to the showers.

Cory sighed as she felt the boiling water cascade down her skin, scrubbing everywhere.

"What do you think this is, Linny?" Kelly asked over the sound of the running water. Cory laughed, shaking her head. "Linny?"

Then she got serious again, closing her eyes. "I don't know. It's not the flu or a cold. This is serious." Cory told her.

Kelly breathed deeply, watching as her body turned a dark red.

Cory finished first, changing into a new pair of undergarments and scrubs, putting her hair up.

"I'll go get started, make sure to wash your hands again." She instructed, putting on a new pair of gloves and opening the door with her foot.

"He okay?" Cory asked standing in front of the curtains. "For now." Gordie called out.

Coraline let a breath out.

She walked back into the room with a wide smile, quickly putting a mask on

"Hey pretty lady." She cooed, taking the baby's temperature. She nodded with relief at the 97.7 temperature.

"She eating good? Pooping? All of that baby stuff?" Cory asked, nodding over at Kelly who walked in, quickly putting a new mask on.