026. don't question my ability

a/n: I'm sorry I skipped a lot of the episodes but Mackenzie's plot and like the line up for season two doesn't really work if she involved in it. also this is the second to last chapter of season 1 and im just going to upload them back to back so season 2 can start bc im so excited to actually reach her original character development. tysm for holding on with me through season 1

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗦𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗕𝗘𝗘𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚 and muffled voice accompanied by the pungent smell of hospital disinfect drifted into Mackenzie nose. The room was silent apart from the soft murmurs of unfamiliar voices and the beeping sound you often hear in hospitals that indicates you're alive.

She slowly opened her eyes, squinting in a poor attempt to sharper the blurry images before her. Glancing around the room, she took in the blue and white colour schemed hospital bedroom and wondered how long she had been here.

Unable to connect what had happened, she closed her eyes and let out a sigh. She was able to remember the painful feeling of the gun bullet penetrating her stomach along side the fear of letting the other knows.

Who brought her here? Out of impulse, her hand travelled to her stomach and lightly touched the throbbing area. She felt a scar and flinched at the pain. Anxiety flooded her, she shot up and took one step on cold, white tiles, before instantly falling back onto the bed. Her whole body was engulfed in pain. 

As Mackenzie stared at the ceiling that was illuminated with a white fluorescent light she felt frustrated at her lack of memory about what happened. She knew that she had been shot, and she knew that everything had been so stressful that she was going to wait until everyone calmed down before telling her friends.

"You're awake," A voice startled Mackenzie. She jumped slightly before turned her head around to narrow her eyes at Rafe Cameron who sat in a chair with a blanket draped over him. He looked like a mess, "You've been asleep for the last ten hours, I was worried you'd never wake up Kenzie."

She narrowed her eyes even more at him, he clearly had been sleeping her for god knows how long. "Why are you here? What's going on?"

"You don't remember?" Rafe asked, and when the girl shook her head no he realized just how much power he had to spin the story. The boys eyes softened as he leaned forward, "You ran away after the mid summer Kenzie, your parents have been so worried looking for you. They said you've been seeing this pouge and things got really bad. They found you at a drug dealers house, Kenzie what did this boy get you into?"

She was confused. The heavy amount of pain killers being pumped through her didn't make it easy to determine the real story from the false narrative Rafe was creating.

"We don't know what happen and how you got shot, but someone must have called 911. Do you remember?" Rafe continued, Mackenzie shook her head, her eyes getting droopy as the morphing continued to drip, "Who ever it was saved your life Kenzie. We're going to get you away from that boy and the help you need, okay?"

"Rafe, I don't think-"

"Shh," He said cutting her off, "Just get some rest, your parents are there way here right now. They're so happy you're home and okay. Rest, Kenzie."

She couldn't fight the drugs anymore, and as her eyes drooped shut she felt like something was off.

. . .

"No, everything is good." Wards hushed and muffled voice could be heard from Mackenzie, "Rose and the kids are leaving tonight, Sarah we'll come also I just have to get her away from that John B kid."

"And you're positive he'll tell you where the gold is?" Alexander's voice followed.

"Yes," Ward responded, "He's gullible just like his dad was. Don't question my ability, Alexander. I'll get the gold and you clean up your own mess."

"My mess wouldn't be a thing if you kept your promise" Alexander spat back.

"My promise was kept, I haven't said a word to the poor thing now have I? You lost your temper just like you always do Alexander." Ward's voice was oddly calm. "It's a wonders why Melanie hasn't left you after all these years."

Mackenzie tried to fight the drugs to stay awake, but once again her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep.

. . .

A couple days after Mackenzie was discharged from the hospital, Alexander and Ward kept her close by. She was unable to do anything out of the sight and was drilled day in day night about Sarah's where abouts. As many times as she tried to sneak out or send a simple message to her friends, it was stopped before she could even start.

The days quickly became identical, consisting of being locked in her bedroom and drilled for information that she wouldn't provide. On the fourth day, the day the doctor said she'd be dismissed to go back to normal, Alexander barged into her bedroom and instructed that she packed her suitcase within the next ten minutes.

When Mackenzie refused to obey, Alexander frantically started to shove items of hers into a suitcase himself. He grabbed her wrist harshly and yanked her to her feet before dragging her down the stairs and towards the front door.

"Let go of me! Stop, you're hurting me!" She shrieked as her Father's grip tightened even more.

He ignored her shrieks and practically shoved her into the back off the car before flicking on the child locks preventing her from leaving. Mackenzie's eyes filled with tears as he began yelling at her to calm down.

From the passenger seat, Melanie had tears in her eyes that where hidden by her designer sunglasses. Her soft sniffles became louder as the car turned out of the driveway and got closer and closer to there private jet.

When the car came to a fault in front of the private jet, Mackenzie let out a yelp as she noticed Sarah struggling in Wards grip. The two girls still had tension between the two of them, but after the last couple of days Mackenzie was beyond concerned about what was happening to care about a stupid fight.

The back door flew up and Alexander grabbed on his daughter, yanking her out and towards the plain just like Ward was doing to Sarah.

"Let go of me!" Sarah screamed as she thrashed in her dad's grip.

Mackenzie started to yell also, hoping Sarah would notice her, "What are you doing? Stop!"

Alexander shoved his daughter up the stairs of the private jet. Mackenzie's anger turned into fear as everything became overwhelming, she fell to the ground in tears. What was happening? Where are they taking her? Are her friends okay? Is JJ okay?

Mackenzie watched through her tear filled eyes as the plain came to a sudden halt and both the men walked off it leaving the three girls unattended. Sarah had noticed Mackenzie on the floor a couple minutes prior and crawled over along side her, the two of them huddling together in tears.

Melanie sat in one of the chairs, reading a magazine and trying her best to ignore what was happening. But no matter how hard she could try to be okay with what was happening, when a loud gun shot rang through the air everything came to a halt.

This wasn't apart of what Alexander and Ward had promised her.