006. bends kill you

Edited June 20, 2023

(take a look at my new JJ book 'Venus' if you're wanting more romantic aspects vs this power aspect with Mackenzie.)

𝗝𝗢𝗛𝗡 𝗕 𝗛𝗔𝗗 𝗗𝗥𝗢𝗣𝗣𝗘𝗗 Mackenzie off at her house as he went to collect the scuba diving gear from Cameron's boat. 

As soon as Mackenzie made her way inside her large house she was greeted by her Mother's very unimpressed face.

Melanie Jones crossed her arms over her chest and pursed her lips, "You have quite the explaining to do. Sarah came home and told her parents someone was threatening to shoot Topper with a gun and then I find out you'd run off with those lowlife boys for the night. Do you know how worried Topper and Rafe were about your well-being? How sad Sarah is that you left her?" 

"Topper sexually assaulted me," Mackenzie yelled.

"Oh Mackenzie," Melanie rolled her eyes in disbelief, "Don't go about that again." 

"I'm not." She scowled, snatching her car keys from the glass table. "And don't call them lowlives."

Melanie shouted things at her daughter and she ignored them and made her way upstairs and into her bedroom. John B had explained that after grabbing the scuba gear he'd meet up with everyone on the Marsh.

Mackenzie would have gone right there if it meant avoiding her Mother's dramatic remarks. But, she had wanted to shower and change into a house with running water and power.

 Mackenzie walked into her closet and pulled out a pair of ripped shorts paired with a tight red tank top. She carried her clothes, along with new undergarments, into the bathroom and placed them on the counter before turning on the shower.

After her shower and a massive lecture from her Mother, Mackenzie drove to John B's house in the cut and parked her car before walking towards her new friends. 

Once on the Marsh, in the same spot as the Grady-white, Kie inspected the tanks, "This is empty. You took empty tanks?" 

Mackenzie sniffled a laugh but inspected the tank in front of her, "This one is a quarter full. That's enough for one of us." 

"Love it when a plan comes together," Pope muttered sarcastically. 

"Who's diving?" Mackenzie asked. When no one responded she questioned, "Does anyone know how to dive?"

"It's kind of a kook sport," JJ admitted smiling sheepishly at Mackenzie. 

"I read about it," Pope shrugged. 

"Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die," Kiara said sarcastically. 

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" JJ questioned, curiosity laced in his voice. 

"Well, if you come up to fast, nitrogen gets into your blood and you get the bends," Pope answered. 

"Bends like bend over and-" JJ said bending over playfully. 

"The bends kill you. It happens when nitrogen bubbles form in your system and block your blood vessels. It leads to heart attacks and strokes." Mackenzie said confidently, everyone looked at her with wide eyes. "I like science." 

"She's hot and smart," JJ moaned playfully. 

John B scowled and smacked the boy's chest. "I can dive."