Chapter 4

"So what happened last night?" I looked down at Phoenix's phone, flat, facing the ceiling. Rooster had a smile on his face, his eyes gleaming with this innocence that made him look like a child interested in a toy on a shelf. "Um," I picked up the phone, leaning against her couch as I continued to sit in the floor. "We went out last night, Phoenix, mom and I." His eyebrows shot up. "Your mom?" I nodded. "Yeah it was... the most fun I've had in awhile." I said giving him a small smile. "So who had to be carried home? I know at least between you and Phoenix one of you did." He said chuckling, making me laugh. "My mom." His eyes widened and his jaw dropped.

"Your mom? Regina Motley, being carried home?" I nodded. "It took two extra hours to get here because Phoenix and I were plastered ourselves." He laughed. "That's hilarious and not safe. I'm glad your okay." I smiled at him. "So uh, how've you been?" I bit my lip. "Better." He nodded. "How's uh..." I pursed my lips. "Don't ask questions you don't want to ask Bradley." He nodded, I looked out the window for a minute before looking back at the phone to see Bradley staring at me. "What?" He chuckled, shaking his head. "You just-even after you crying you're still just so-" "Don't. Please don't tell me how beautiful I am." "And why not?" I sighed, wiping a few tears that slipped. "Because, it makes me want you." His tongue darted out to wet his lips as I sat curled against Phoenix's couch. "You tell me, that you want me to come out there, and I will drop everything and catch the next flight to San Francisco."

I shook my head. "I can't ask you to do that." He was staring at me, his eyes unreadable. "Then don't ask. Just say please, and I will be on my way." I stared at him, and he held my gaze. "Just give me the first syllable." A tear fell from his eye, and I opened my mouth before closing it. I propped my fist on my chin, looking back out the window. This is my chance, I have my car, all my important belongings, my husband still thinks I am in Corpus Christi. "Caila." I looked back to the phone, seeing his eyes all glassy. "I have spent, the last year worrying about you, every damn day." More tears gather in my eyes. "Not knowing if you were okay has been the hardest thing to deal with in my day to day life. I don't want to keep living like this, I can't." 

I inhaled deeply, so tired of crying. This is my chance, if I don't take it I know I will regret it. I looked back down to see Rooster wiping his eyes and I smiled at him. "Rooster." He looked at me intensely. "Please." He suddenly jumped up. "Stay on the phone." He was rummaging around and I saw a shirt fly over the phone and smiled. After about ten minutes he picked the phone up again, showing me his duffel bag. "I am leaving for the airport right now. I will text you all my flight information." I bit my lip and smiled at him. "Are we really doing this?" He nodded as he closed his front door behind him. "We sure are, you sit tight pretty girl. I'm coming for you." More tears fell at his words. "I'll see you when you land Rooster." He smiled at me. "I can't wait to see you." I smiled. "I can't wait to see you either." The call ended and that's when the panic set in. 

What if Aaron found out, he could still end our careers. Is it really worth costing Rooster everything? Is my selfishness worth it? "Hey, hey, hey! You're going to cause the floor to fall in if you keep pacing like this." I turned to phoenix who grabbed my arm. "What's wrong?" It was time to come clean. "I said yes." Phoenix seemed confused. "Yes? Yes, to what?" I held up her phone. "Bradley." Her eyes widened. "Wait? You mean-" "I mean, I said 'go', and now he is on his way to the airport and is purchasing a ticket to fly to San Francisco to come see me." She placed her hands over her mouth in shock. "You did?" I nodded as she came over and pulled me into a hug. My chin resting easily on her shoulder as she was an inch taller than my five foot six frame. 

"And I think I need to tell you why I walked away at the gala last year." We sat on the couch and she took my hand. "Aaron said if I left him, he would pin me for adultery." She pursed her lips. "Which is punishable by dishonorable discharge in the Navy." I nodded. "I would give up my career for Rooster, I'd lose everything for him." She nodded and squeezed my hand. "But Aaron threatened to pin him for it as well. Losing everything for him is worth it, but costing him everything? Being the reason he loses it all? I couldn't do that to him." She inhaled deeply.