Chapter 8

Hangman still had a hold of my hand as he went and changed the song on the jukebox before leading us up to the pool table. He handed out the beers, still not letting go until I yanked my hand loose. Standing at a back table in the dark, away from everyone. Hangman took the pool cue from whoever had it, their back turned to me. "Bradshaw, as I live and breathe." Rooster looked him over. "Hangman, you look...good." I scoffed as I watched the interaction. 

My heart hurt seeing him, he looked so good. I watched his interaction with Hangman, little remarks here and there as Jake continued to play. "You're snug on that perch, waiting for just the right moment, that never comes." I rolled my eyes as I sipped my drink, same arguments with them. "I love this song." Jake said before walking off. I glanced over seeing Bob and I smirked, I stared at him knowing he'd sense it. After a few seconds he did and we made eye contact. 

He smiled and got up, making his way over. "Oh my god." He pulled me into a hug. "I wasn't informed I was getting a back seater." He chuckled. "You're not, Phoenix is." I raised my brows, catching Phoenix's eyes as I did. "What the hell are you doing here?" She yelled out and stormed over. "Phoenix-" "No! You haven't been fucking cleared yet!" She yelled as I was forced to turn and back into the pool table. "I was, two months ago." She smacked my arm, making me jump. "And you didn't tell me?" I pushed her back gently. "No, because I was still working on it." She stared at me before sighing and pulling me into a hug. "I missed you." I smiled and hugged back. "I missed you too." 

"How's that husband of yours?" Bob asked and I flinched. I took a deep breath and faced him as he stood next to Rooster. "Gone. I filed for divorce and he just has to sign." Bob nodded sheepishly. "And I will buy you another round just for that!" Hangman cheered as he took his shot. "Couldn't stand the guy anyway, not after the New Years mishap two years ago." Everyone looked around confused. "Wait, how often do you guys hang out outside of this?" Payback asked as they motioned to all of us. "Brother-in-law." I said pointing to Hangman. "Sister-in-law." He said taking another shot. "No way!" Coyote spoke up. "Your brother is the big time country singer Laura married?" I nodded. "Shit, small world." I chuckled. "Wouldn't have happened if Hangman hadn't tried so hard to convince security to let him in. I heard his loud mouth and came to the rescue." Everyone chuckled as I said 'hi' to a few others but I could feel Roosters eyes on me the whole time. 

"Hi, Rooster." I gave a small wave before all but running to the bar. "Penny, can I have another?" She quirked a brow. "That's three." I nodded. "Please, I feel like I'm suffocating up there." She nodded and made my drink before sliding it over. I turned and saw Hangman watching me, he nodded towards Rooster who was talking to Phoenix with a pool cue in hand. I took a deep breath and walked up, but I lost my courage and stopped on the opposite side of the pool table. Phoenix nodded to me and I looked down as Rooster looked at me. Suddenly Phoenix was next to me, poking my arm. "He's agreed to talk but you have to ask him." I could've walked into the ocean and let it take me. "Go." "Phoenix." "Go. "Nat-" "Go." I glared at her before pushing off the post and walking over as Rooster was taking his shot. 

I stopped and waited until he stood and looked to me. "Can I talk to you?" It was a whisper and I could hardly maintain eye contact. "When I finish this game." He said dryly. I deserve that. "Okay, I'll be on the back deck when you're done." He just nodded and I walked outside, the cool September breeze making me feel better. After a few minutes I looked inside seeing Phoenix, she was speaking to Rooster with a stern look on her face. 

After a few more minutes he walked out, slowly making his way over. I turned to face the bar as he face the beach. "Rooster, I owe you... such a big apology." I choked on my words. "I was, cruel towards you and you didn't deserve that. All those awful things I said, they were lies, and you didn't deserve that." He wouldn't look at me. "I know that this doesn't take any of it back but you have to know how awful I feel about it and that this apology comes from the deepest parts of me." I said as a few tears slipped. "I did it to protect you Rooster, and I am so sorry that I hurt you in the process."