29 | yours

"What are you doing in here?"

I stare back at Lois, one of the house maids. She's hanging onto the door and has a raised eyebrow, staring back at me with clear suspicion.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Think Grayson. Think!

My throat tightens but I shake my head. "The King requested that I check something for him tonight," I lie straight through my teeth. "Something to do with one of their charity events."

Lois keeps her eyes trained on me and I attempt to slow my breathing. "Is that so?"

"Yes," I nod. "You can ring him now and ask him if you like. Bother him whilst he's on his holiday. He did put me in charge after all."

My tongue runs along my bottom lip as I push back in the chair, logging out of his account and shutting down his computer. I stand from the seat and adjust the sleeves on my shirt.

"So what will it be, Lois?"

Her jaw tightens and releases within a second. "No need for me to ring the King," she brushes herself off. "If he gave you permission then that's all good."

"Very well," I flash her a forced smile and walk around the desk. "Now I'm going to bed, goodnight Lois."

She steps away from the office door and gives me one glance before walking away, muttering something under her breath but I choose to ignore it. I turn the other way and pray deep down in my soul that she keeps her mouth shut.