46 | don't let me go

My mind has been elsewhere all day

My mind has been elsewhere all day. I went to work without saying a word to Everly, although she was asleep. Last night destroyed me.

To think other people are speaking their opinions on things they know nothing about. Convincing Everly of things that aren't true, putting ideas into her head that makes everything between us seem like a lie.

But that is far from the truth. Everything between us is beyond real.

My love for her is above and beyond anything I thought I was capable of.

And now my head hurts. It's been pounding all day and I hate that I left her crying all night. But the pain I felt in my chest was excruciating, it's like she never experienced anything with me over the last six months.

Or maybe she's confused. Fuck. I hate this.

When I clock out of work I make my way home as quickly as possible. I can't stand knowing that I've made her upset and done nothing to comfort her. Despite how I felt, I now feel like the biggest jackass ever.

I press my key into the door and walk straight through into the apartment. My eyes glance around the room, TV off and windows shut. My brows begin to crease and I shut the door behind me before shrugging off my jacket.

"Ever?"

When I hear complete silence I begin to panic. My feet carry me directly to our bedroom without thinking, except the bed is made and she's not there. The bathroom is also empty.