Prologue

Wealth, fame, power.

Gold Roger, the King of the Pirates, attained everything this world has to offer.

The words he uttered just before his death drove people to the seas.

"My treasure? If you want it, you can have it! Find it! I left everything this world has to offer there!"

And so men head for the Grand Line in pursuit of their dreams!

The world has truly entered a Great Pirate Era!

Twelve years after the execution of the first and only King of the Pirates ever recorded in history, a group of pirates known as the Red-Hair Pirates were stationed in a small village called Windmill Village, which was a part of Dawn Island in the East Blue. Every day, a local boy named Monkey D. Luffy pestered their captain, Red-Haired Shanks, to let him join his crew, which he declined each time. Eventually, it all came to a head when the boy came to their ship and tried to prove his toughness by stabbing his face under his left eye. He and the pirates went to the bar, where they toasted to his craziness as they ate and drank. Luffy once again attempted to convince Shanks to add him to his crew, to which the captain gently refused due to the boy being too young and unable to swim.

Suddenly, a group of mountain bandits led by Higuma entered the bar, demanding some alcohol. But there was one slight problem: the pirates had already drunk the place completely dry. When Shanks tried to make peace by offering Higuma the last bottle, he got all overconfident due to his eight million berry bounty and smashed it over the pirate captain's head. Shanks just apologized to the bartender, Makino, and started to clean up the mess, only for Higuma to break some more dishes before leaving with his gang. Afterward, the Red Hair Pirates laughed off the incident, but Luffy was angry at the captain for not standing up for himself. He stormed out of the bar, and Shanks attempted to hold him back by grabbing his arm, but to his shock, the boy kept walking as his arm stretched like rubber. The Red Hair Pirates then realized that the Devil Fruit they had stolen, the Gum-Gum Fruit, was no longer in the chest, and Luffy confirmed that he ate it for dessert. Shanks revealed that the boy's body was now made of rubber, and he would be unable to swim for the rest of his life.

Sometime later, the Red Hair Pirates had gone off on another voyage, and Luffy was starting to have fun with his new rubber body. One day, however, he was sitting in Makino's bar when Higuma's gang returned, demanding some alcohol again. Soon afterward, Makino alerted the Mayor, Woop Slap, that the bandits had kidnapped Luffy after he picked a fight with them. Higuma initially planned to sell the boy to a circus due to his strange body but decided to kill him instead for angering him. However, Shanks and the Red Hair Pirates then returned, and when one of the bandits pointed his gun at the captain, his crewmate, Lucky Roux, shot him instead. Shanks stated that he could accept an insult toward him but would not forgive anyone who harms his friends. His first mate, Benn Beckman, then overpowered the bandits singlehandedly, though Higuma managed to escape with Luffy in tow by throwing a smoke bomb. The lone bandit took the boy out to sea and kicked him off the boat to drown him. As Luffy struggled to stay afloat, a Sea King known as the Local Sea Monster ate Higuma whole, destroying it in the process. It then moved to eat Luffy too, but Shanks arrived just in time to save him and exerted his willpower over the beast, scaring it away. Shanks was glad Luffy was okay, but the boy was saddened because the captain had sacrificed his arm for him.

Later, the Red Hair Pirates were prepared to leave Windmill Village for good. Luffy had decided not to try to join them and declared that he would form his own crew that would be stronger than Shanks', find the greatest treasure known as the One Piece, and become the King of the Pirates. To take the boy up on his word, the captain gave him his straw hat and told him to return it once he had surpassed him. As the Red Hair Pirates set sail, Shanks and Beckman both anticipated Luffy doing great things in the future.