Chapter 4: First Captures and A New Enemy

"...WHAT?!" Clemont and Bonnie shouted in shock as they, along with Dedenne, Fennekin, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, and Psyduck, stared at the Straw Hats, eyes wide. Serena had to stifle her laughter as they all walked through Route 4 on the way to Santalune City.

"Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it either if I didn't see them falling from the portals." she admitted.

"Me either if we didn't actually experience that." Nami added, with Zoro and Sanji nodding. Luffy and Usopp were looking around for new Pokemon to catch while they waited for the initial shock to die down.

"So, Nami, let me get this straight. You're pirates from another dimension, and..." Clemont couldn't finish the sentence, so Bonnie did it for him.

"Luffy has RUBBER POWERS?! THAT'S SO COOL!" she shouted with stars in her and Dedenne's eyes. Luffy heard Bonnie and giggled.

"Yeah, I guess they're pretty cool. Besides losing the ability to swim, that is." he replied modestly.

"Hm? Hey guys, I see something up in the sky." Usopp stated as he pulled down his goggles to get a better look. Everybody looked up and saw a Pokemon flying toward them while holding another trembling Pokemon in his beak. The flying Pokemon was a small, plump-bodied avian Pokemon. He was primarily brown with a cream-colored face, underside, and flight feathers. On top of his head was a short crest of three tufts. The center crest feathers were brown and the outer two tufts were cream-colored. Just under his crest were his narrow eyes which had white sclera and pupil along with his black irises. Angular black marking extended from behind his eyes and continued down his cheeks. He had a short, stubby beak and feet with two toes in front and one in back. Both his beak and feet were a grayish pink. He had a short, brown tail made of three feathers.

The Pokemon struggling to get out was an insect Pokemon that resembled a green caterpillar with a yellow underside and teardrop-shaped tail. There were yellow ring-shaped markings down the sides of his segmented body which resembled his eyes. His most notable characteristic was the bright red antenna on his head. His four tiny feet were tipped with suction cups.

"Caterpie! Cater caterpie! (Don't eat me! I'm not tasty!)" Caterpie shouted fearfully while tears poured out of his eyes.

"Pidgey. Pid pidgey. (Oh, shut up. My lunch shouldn't talk.)" Pidgey replied with an annoyed and hungry look on his face.

"Ah! The poor Caterpie is gonna get eaten by a Pidgey!" Bonnie screeched out, clearly terrified.

"Hm. A Caterpie..." Usopp started, going for his Pokedex.

"...and a Pidgey, huh?" Luffy finished as he also pulled out his Pokedex.

"Caterpie, the Worm Pokemon. To repel enemies, Caterpie releases an unpleasant odor from its red antenna. It molts several times while growing." Usopp's Pokedex spoke.

"Pidgey, the Tiny Bird Pokemon. Pidgey usually doesn't like to battle, but it won't hesitate to attack if provoked." Luffy's Pokedex said. After putting them away, the duo turned to each other and nodded.

While Usopp got himself ready, Luffy turned to his starter and asked, "You ready to get a partner, Squirtle?" Squirtle instantly nodded as they faced the Pidgey.

"Good. Have an Aura Sphere ready to go." Luffy commanded him. As Squirtle put his hands together and focused his aura into a single point, forming a big blue ball of energy, Usopp placed an enlarged Pokeball on his green slingshot and pulled it back.

He took aim at the Caterpie before saying, "Ready, Captain!"

"Okay. LET IT RIP, SQUIRTLE!" Luffy yelled out. Squirtle proceeded to fire the Aura Sphere at Pidgey.