Chapter 7: A Surprise Capture At The Santalune City Gym

Jessie, James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet were practically frozen in fear. Even after an hour had passed by, they couldn't move a muscle. James was also cradling a frightened blue, squid-like Pokemon in his arms. He had a transparent mantle with a rounded, pink body inside that had several yellow, circular spots that can glow brightly. There were four of these luminescent spots on the front, and two on the back. Attached to his mantle were two transparent tentacles. His remaining tentacles were part of his main body, eight in total. He had round black eyes and a pink beak-like mouth.

"Now, hold on! The twerp isn't supposed to have Charizard in his party! He's supposed to have Pikachu, Froakie, and Fletchling right now. I call foul play!" Jessie shouted angrily. James put his hand on his chin, thinking deeply.

"...Hm, maybe someone like Tobias is in this region?" he suggested. Jessie, Wobbuffet, and Meowth flinched upon hearing that name.

"If there is a trainer like him here, then ya can't blame the twerp for bringing HIM along." the Scratch Cat Pokemon responded with a nod. James nodded back in agreement.

"Guys, you're missing the point here! With Charizard there, our chances of capturing Pikachu automatically become zero percent. Zero. Zilch. Nada." Jessie admitted. Her partners all winced.

"...Well then, there goes our promotions..." James and Meowth muttered sadly, with Wobbuffet and Inkay nodding.

"HEY! I sure did not team up with a bunch of quitters who have no spines!" Jessie snapped at them. James, Inkay, Meowth, and Wobbuffet's bodies shook, clearly afraid of that side of her.

"W-W-Well, then what do you suggest? I know Inkay probably can't take on Charizard right now." the man inquired. Inkay shivered at the mere thought of going up against such a powerful Pokemon.

"Yeah, Wobbuffet is our best shot against him, and even then, I don't like those odds." Meowth added. Despite how powerful Wobbuffet had become since he got traded to Jessie, he couldn't help but agree with his fellow Pokemon partner. Jessie frowned upon realizing that Meowth had a point there.

"Then what do YOU suppose we do?!" she asked sternly. Her companions just sat there in deep thought.

"....Why not a Gym raid? Who knows, the local Gym Leader could specialize in the Rock type." James questioned them. Jessie perked up, and an evil smile crossed her face.

"Bingo! That's it!" she exclaimed in an excited tone. Jessie was about to rush over to the Gym, but James's shout of her name made her turn to him, somewhat irritated.

"We can't all go. News of our attempted capture of Garchomp probably made headlines. Not to mention that if the twerp recognizes us, we're screwed either way." he stated.

"Hm...true...then let's send in Meowth alone. He can act as a stray. Surely no one would notice a stray Meowth, let alone try to capture him!" Jessie shouted with a smirk.

"...Um, Jess, did ya forget what almost happened last time I acted as a stray Pokemon? I almost got captured by the Unova twerpette!" Meowth reminded her skeptically.

"That time, it was way before the Gym when the twerps were traveling. Here, they'll be focused on the actual Gym." Jessie responded nonchalantly.

"Good point! Last time, they had situations that you helped out with. Now, we're already in the city with no traveling involved. So really, there's no issue." James added. Meowth looked like he wanted to protest some more, but he couldn't find any counterarguments to what those two said.

He sighed in defeat before saying, "Fine, I'll go. But if anything happens to me, it's ya own fault." Meowth then ditched his disguise, got down on all fours, and walked over to the Gym.