Chapter 9: A Shiny Electrifying Friendship

"...Hm..." Luffy trailed off while looking at the Pikachus on Ash and Serena's shoulders. On the way back to Lumiose City, the captain of the Straw Hats had been uncharacteristically lost in thought.

"Food for thought, Luffy? And why are you eyeing our Pikachus like that?" Ash inquired curiously. Even the Pikachus were eyeing Luffy strangely.

"...All right, I've decided." Luffy declared.

"Oh? What did you decide?" Nami asked.

"I decided...I want an Electric type next!" Luffy answered confidently. Everybody else raised their eyebrows.

Interesting... they all thought.

"Well, he won't get shocked by one." Ash stated.

Clemont nodded while replying, "True, he is rubber, after all."

"Yeah, he could probably fight one himself if it was his first Pokemon." Meowth commented.

"...Don't remind me..." Serena uttered with sweat falling down the back of her and the rest of the Straw Hats' heads.

"Given how he fought Garchomp hand-to-hand, that's accurate." Zoro responded.

"True." Nami said.

Meanwhile, at a café in a quaint town, a disguised man and woman were drinking coffee together when a tablet began ringing. She took out a black one, opened it up, and, after typing in a passcode, pressed on the Answer button.

"We're here...Dr. Namba." the woman uttered in a quiet voice.

"Excellent. So here's your first mission in Kalos. There is a shiny Shinx somewhere close to where you two are. Find and capture it so I can study it." Dr. Namba replied. An evil smile crossed the duo's faces as they stood up.

"Consider it done." they concurred.

Soon, the group reached the town.

"...I feel like I'm forgetting something...or someone..." Meowth mumbled under his breath.

"Eh, don't worry about it. Let's focus on finding Luffy a new member." Ash told him.

Everybody then heard a man say, "Man, it's crazy how that rare-colored Shinx hadn't been caught yet."

"It's no surprise since she knows Ice Fang and Fire Fang on top of Thunder Fang." another man admitted. That piqued the group's interest as Luffy took out his Pokedex and began flipping through it.

"Let's see...Shinx...Shinx...Shinx...Aha!" he exclaimed as he pushed on the data for Shinx.

"Shinx, the Flash Pokemon. When Shinx flexes its muscles, it generates electricity. When sensing danger, its fur glistens." the Pokedex spoke.

Luffy grinned while putting it away and saying, "Bingo. Found my Electric type."

"Ice and Fire Fang is very rare on a Shinx." Brock commented, clearly impressed.

"Yeah, not to mention that it's a different color one." Ash added. Clemont simply hummed as he felt nostalgic for some reason...which Zoro noticed.

"You okay, Clemont?" he asked curiously. Clemont flinched.

"O-Oh yeah, I'm fine." he answered before laughing nervously and rubbing the back of his head. Serena narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"He's clearly hiding something." she muttered to Ash.

He nodded while whispering back, "Yeah, but let's not press him. Let's look for Shinx." Ash then grabbed two Pokeballs as Luffy took one. They each pressed on the white buttons to enlarge them.