Chapter 2: A Musical Meeting

The next morning, the sun rose in Lumiose City. Everybody was waking up for the day. Inside a Pokemon Center, Ash, Pikachu, and his newly acquired Froakie were eating a big breakfast in preparation for setting off to Santalune City, where the first Gym was located.

"You guys ready to get going?!" the boy asked as he finished his last bite of Kalosian toast and drank his water.

"Pika! (Yeah!)"

"Fro! (Yep!)" the two Pokemon exclaimed.

"I see someone hadn't changed in the last year. Still as reckless as ever, eh, Ash, Pikachu?" a man's voice called out nonchalantly. Ash and Pikachu both gasped upon recognizing that voice while Froakie looked puzzled.

"No way." he muttered.

"Pikachu. (It can't be.)" Pikachu added. The shocked duo, along with a curious Froakie, turned to face the nineteen-year-old man. He had tan skin, spiky brown hair, and eyes that appeared to be closed all the time and was wearing a green collared shirt, an orange vest with brown trim, khaki pants with knee stitching, and blue high-top sneakers.

"Brock!" Ash exclaimed happily upon seeing his old friend for the first time in a year.

"Pikachu! (It is you!)" Pikachu shouted as he leaped onto Brock's shoulder and rubbed his cheek on his. The man chuckled before examining the Mouse Pokemon closely.

"Hm...you look as good as usual, Pikachu." he commented, almost sounding professional while rubbing underneath his chin.

"Chaaaaaaaa... (So good...)" Pikachu cooed happily.

"And now let me examine Froakie." Brock stated. Froakie turned to Ash, who just nodded, before getting examined himself.

"Looking good too, Froakie." Brock concluded. Froakie just shrugged.

"Brock, what are you doing here?!" Ash inquired curiously. Brock grabbed his shoulder and pulled him close.

"Ash, do you know what Kalos is known as?" he asked back.

"Uh...no." Ash responded, very confused.

"The region of love. Apparently, if you find a girl here in Kalos who has romantic feelings for you and you share those same feelings, you're guaranteed a happy life. And that's why I'm-ugh!" Brock suddenly yelped once he felt a pain in his butt and fell down on his belly. Sweat dropped from the back of Ash, Pikachu, and Froakie's heads as they looked at the culprit, whose hand was glowing purple. He was a dark ultramarine blue, bipedal Pokemon that resembled a poison dart frog. He had yellow eyes, which were surrounded by black markings. There were orange, expandable pouches on his cheeks, and his teeth were wide and flat. A black marking encircled his upper arms and chest, and there were white bands around his chest. He had three fingers and toes, most of which were black. The only digits that were not black were his center fingers, which were orange instead.

"...Hey there, Croagunk. Still keeping Brock away from the ladies, huh?" Ash questioned Croagunk while chuckling nervously.

"Croa croa croagunk. (Of course, it's my pleasure.)" Croagunk ribbited mischievously. Soon, Brock was able to get back up.

"Okay, for real, what are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to be in Kanto studying how to be a Pokemon Doctor?" Ash asked his old friend curiously. Brock smiled as he pulled a brochure out of his pocket and showed it to the trio.

"Actually, this year, the Pokemon Doctors Convention is in Kalos. So I have an opportunity to go to every Pokemon Center and learn something new from each place. And it goes on until the end of the Kalos League." he explained. Ash and Pikachu both gasped in surprise.