CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The streets were busier than usual today. The summer heat had gifted Sky with a tan but my skin was still okay thanks to all the sunscreen and umbrellas I've been putting to good use. Amber, in a week it would be her death anniversary. I missed her so much not a day went by that I hadn't thought of her.

I hadn't even realized just how fast time was , already a year had gone by. Skyler had gotten us a small studio apartment in a different part of town. Since he left the force he had been working as a barista for a local café. I had taken up painting, being able to express myself through art and make a living off my hobby was sufficient for me. "are you okay?" sky asked, he looked worried. I nodded, "Im fine".

"Are you sure?" he asked again this time, stopping me. He used his body toshield me from the sun and placed his hands gently on my waist. "Do you want togo home? To see her?" he asked carefully. Did I want to go home? I missedAmber. I couldn't even make it to her funeral but going home. I don't think I couldbear going back there. I hung my head and answered in what was almost awhisper, "no".

My ears rang and people began screaming and running. Someone had fired a gun.Before I could process what had happened , Sky had began running carrying mein his arms. My heart was racing , my throat felt like it was closing up and Icouldn't feel my legs. The assailant fired another round of bullets that missedus and hit some nearby flower pots. Looking over Sky's shoulder the man had sloweddown to reload his weapon.

Running past the crowd and into another flower shop down the road , Sky took usthrough to the back of the store. "Stay put" he instructed, putting me down and hiding me behind drums filled withmurky water and floral waste. I grabbed his wrist unable to speak but notwanting to let him go. He loosened my grip and disappeared from my sight.

I wanted to call for him but tears choked me. I was going to die! Someone wantsme dead again! But why? For the past year I did nothing but try and build astable life with Skyler. Alice and I hadn't spoken in a while and when we didit was never about politics or anything that could endanger me. I wasn't eventhat close to her or my dad that anyone would want to use me bait.

Moments went by and my shaking had stopped. Sky was still not back and from thesounds from inside the flower shop, the streets had long calmed down. Hesitantly, I got up and made my way into the shop. It was as if nothing had happened.The staff organized bouquets , trimmed and watered flowers while someone swept the floor.

It was late afternoon when i reached the apartment. I still had had no word from Skyler. His cell was off and with every passing moment i grew more anxious. Our lives were so peaceful since we got here. Why did this have to happen to us?

I couldn't file a missing persons report till 24 hours had passed.  I couldn't eat that night all i could do was keep waiting and praying. As i was painting , trying to distract myself from all my negagtive thoughts, my phone buzzed. rushing over to the couch i recieved the call without checking the ID. "Angel , are you okay?" She sounded concerned. "Alice?"i uttered in dissapointment. "Samantha , listen carefully. You need to come home, urgently. My secretary will pick you up tomorrow at noon." The thought if returning home irritated me. Why would she want me back there? "Why would i ever come back there?"i hissed. "Because  your father escaped from prison  three weeks ago, i suspect he is looking for you. I also suspect that he has Skyler."

My heart sank to my core. "Sam? Sammy? Are you there darling?" He escaped? How? Why? What would he want from me? I cut the call trying to process what i heard.