CHAPTER EIGHT

"Are we there yet?" I groaned my butt now numb from sitting in the car for hours. "Almost" Dad replied dryly. "Couldn't we just have taken the elevator?" I continued to groan. "No, that leads to HQ you, are going to one of our boarding houses" Amber playfully poked my nose. I brushed away her hand and looked out the window. Watching everything I ever knew and loved fade away behind me. One memory was more vivid than others, Lilly. I wish I had the chance to at least say goodbye had I known I was leaving today I could have done so last night.

Amber nudged my elbow softly, I turned and raised my eyebrows. "Is there something you want to tell me?". What? Where was this coming from? "No why?" I asked her puzzled. "I mean do you want to tell me why you snuck out last night? I came up to your room to check up on you last night but you were gone". Oh no, Skyler. What was I thinking!? Why did I kiss him? She probably saw us, shit!

"I went out for fresh air, I had to clear my head" I whispered back. "You should have told me though, I almost sent a search party, you are lucky I found you in your room the second time around".

"Sorry" I sighed.

Skyler, my thoughts kept drifting back to last night, I hate to admit it but I've never had anyone kiss me the way he did. He was so caring, gentle and wait, what the heck!? What is happening to me!? He is my friend we were vulnerable and shit happened. Get over it, Sam! I slapped myself and slowly dragged my hand across my face earning me confused looks from my dad and Amber. I can't believe how stupid I am, I mean Sky and I had been friends since we were babies and he had never shown any interest in me at all I was always 'the little sister he wished he never had'.

"Sam, Sam, we're here" Amber called drawing me back to reality. The tall grey stone building looked more like a castle than a school. Thousands of girls in red and black pleated skirts lined up outside the entrance. "ah Thomas, Amber welcome!" yelled a man in a brown suit as he approached the car. "Sam, we are glad to have you here, Alfred get the bags will you?".

I smiled a little harder than I intended to and nodded. "Alright then, follow me." He lead us past the line of impatient girls and into a long stone brick hallway. The light scent of lavender lingered in the air. To my left was a long display cabinet of different trophies and medals as well as weird-looking weapons. The ceiling was twice the normal height of an ordinary building. bright bronze chandeliers hung above us.

"Molly" the man called to a girl down the hall. "Molly I need you to escort Samantha here to your dorm room she will be your new roommate this semester ". He turned to me handing me a Black card, "Sam this is your student pass keep it with you at all times, your full name is your temporary ID and password for certain facilities, we already have your voice data so don't worry about recognition problems"

I nodded and glanced at my dad. Amber smiled sweetly before hugging me "we gotta go now but I'll be back to check up on you soon ok?"

"I love you" I squeaked my voice scratchier than I thought. "love you too" he responded.

"You will do just fine" my dad squeezed my shoulder slightly. I nodded and watched them disappear down the hall and out of view. "Hey, I'm Molly" squealed the blond-haired beady-eyed girl in excitement. "mmmm" I smiled and raised my eyebrows. This was gonna be harder than I thought.

***************************************************

*bang* Went the door. I jolted up from the bed to see one super excited Molly. "Oh my gosh! tonight is the first night of this semester! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!?" She squealed. "It means it's a new semester Molly so what?" I threw myself back on the bed.

"I know but it means we will be having a welcome dinner and that means the boys will be joining us since it's our turn to host the dinner" she bounced around the room singing. "Wait is this a combined boarding school?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "No, their school is just on the other side of the mountain, about maybe a kilometre away I can't believe I finally get to see Jerry again!" she yelled before spinning around the room again. Who did I offend to deserve this!? Being here is bad enough already but having a naïve loud roommate is even worse. "I have to get ready, your uniform is in your closet, you need to wear your full summer uniform and oh here you need this" she handed me what looked like a plain white sim card. "what's this?" I examined the chip. "I call it the superchip but, it's just a high-quality ghost chip that enables you to use your cell phone and not be traced, even Grace Greystone can't hack into a device with our ghost chips."

Grace Greystone? Who the hell is she? "Uhm, gee thanks" I smiled.

"My pleasure, oh and try not to talk to many people, I mean just be careful who you talk to loved ones and close friends only ok?" She stared into my eyes intensely. I nodded and inserted the card into my phone.

"Come on Sam we can't be late" she grabbed my arm and dragged me down the never-ending hallway. "It's not the end of the world Molly slow down" I managed to breathe out before we skidded to a stop at the entrance of the hall. "Welcome to the main hall" she grinned as she guided me to our seats. Long neatly set tables filled the hall thousands of excited students in neatly ironed uniforms all trying to catch up on lost time. The teacher's table was on a reasonably high platform behind it was the school's crest. Slowly the noise died down and every one rose as the teachers filled in from both sides of the crest. "You may be seated !" a short fat lady in red yelled from the teacher's platform. "Beryl House Academy welcomes you all again to the second last semester of the year, we hope this semester will be as fruitful as the last. Let us all work harder to make Beryl a force to be reckoned with. I thank you".

I glanced around me taking in my overwhelming surroundings. Once more everyone rose and applauded. I mimicked them. The boys were seated on the far left side of the hall. They had black pants and white shirts with black ties that had red and white stripes. My heart sunk a little as I longed for the comforts of home. While we were being served I quickly pulled out my phone needing to talk to someone as old friends around me focused on telling each other about their holiday.

Hey.

💛Sky. hey whatsup? I was hoping to see you at the game today why didn't you come?

I'm sorry, I transferred to another school I was going to tell you but I had no idea I would have to leave to day.

💛Sky- oh, it's ok I hope it's better there beside that you need it I won't blame you I mean with the investigation going on I wouldn't be able to face these people daily.

Yeah, how was the game?

💛Sky-not bad lost though, J was pretty sad that you didn't pitch up and angry that he lost the game.

Since when are yoy two on good terms? Shame poor guy just tell him I said hi and pls explain why I couldn't come, will you?

💛Sky- sure thing.
Sam...I miss you.

Sky, about last night...

💛Sky-its okay, take your time i wont rush you. I should've had better timing. You can reply to my confession when you are ready.

I gotta go chat later?

💛Sky- ok bye.