CHAPTER FOUR

"Argh", I groaned as I frantically searched my locker for my math textbook. Unlike other people, I have never loved Tuesdays. Why? You ask well because we have flipping double period of math in the morning and what made today the worst Tuesday of them all was the way people cleared the hallways as soon as they laid their eyes on me. They would stare from their little corners as if I was some creep or something. The drama from the ball hadn't died down yet. As the bell rang for the last time I slammed my locker door shut and dragged my feet to class praying I would arrive toward the end of the lesson. I love school but, math is not exactly my favourite class.

"Ok for example" Mr Crawford turns to scribble down the question on the board. I silently slipped in making my way to the back of the class. " Are we all together on that?" Mr Crawford asked turning to face the class of absent-minded students. His gaze landed on me and his expression turned solid. I averted my eyes to the ground in shame he resumed the lesson. I quickly pulled out my notebook and jotted down whatever Mr C was writing.

The more he spoke the further I drifted away from the steady rhythm of my pencil tapping on the desk sent, deeper and deeper I lost myself in my thoughts dreaming of what my life would be like had I never attended the ball. I had always made sure I was never the centre of attention. I kept a low profile and made sure to keep away from big social groups. I was like a ghost and now, well I felt so exposed.

"Hey" Luke gently tapped my shoulder and snapped his fingers to get my attention, "didn't you hear the bell?" Bell? I looked around in confusion to see that the class was empty already. " Yeah the bell just went off hurry up or you'll be late for gym class". "Thanks, Luke" gosh could this day get any worse? Swinging my bag over my shoulder I quickly made my way to the changing room.

"Ew look what the cat dragged in" Amy squeaked in her high pitched irritating voice. Damn that entitled brat! "Common gals, let's pack up and go and oh make sure to lock your lockers lest something goes missing" she grinned eying me from head to toe. "Come on girls we have the practice to get to " she summoned her little cheerleading minions, unfortunately, Lilly happened to be one of them. "Sorry" Lilly mouthed before following her 'master' out the room. I wonder why she still wants to cheer when she's being treated like trash all the time, she does deserve better. I smiled softly, sat down on a bench and began untying my shoelaces as they filled out. "Hey, are you ok?" Jade smiled down at me. " Yeah, I'm fine".

" Don't mind her we know she's just irritating you because she has nothing better to do". I chuckled stiffly as she placed her hand on my shoulder. " I believe you didn't do it, Sam, I do and I promise I'm gonna help you find out who the thief is ok?"

Jade has always been there for me she's supported when I thought everyone would desert me. Through all the ups and downs I've been through she's been there, from horrible blind dates to losing my loved ones you name it Jade was always that one person who hadn't left yet. " Thanks, Jade"

" Alright now hurry up and change I'll be waiting outside".

" Alright, class one more lap! common let's stretch those legs, keep it going, Donald ! common let move people!" Miss Thompson yelled in her deep masculine like voice. " I wonder where Rambo gets all that energy from " Jade huffed as she caught up with me. I shook my head " I swear she enjoys making us suffer and what's up with her voice?" I added. I began to slow down and jog as Mrs Smith AKA 'Rambo' blew the final whistle signalling that practice was over.

"Finally! That was some work out" George breathed and threw herself onto the lawn. " Tell me about it" I mimicked her hoping to slow down my heartbeat. I closed my eyes and lay beside Jade who had finally gotten her breathing under control. I was almost falling asleep when a shadow fell over me. " So we meet again, princess" "Johnathan?" I whispered in disbelief.

" Wow, you know I was hoping you would be a little more excited to see me." he frowned dramatically and stretched out his hand. I accepted it and with one swift movement he brought me to my feet. " who's your friend?" he asked eyeing Jade. " oh my bad sorry, Johnathan this is Jade, Jade this is Johnathan "

" Nice to meet you, Johny boy" teased Jade.

" Likewise Jade" he bowed and giggled.

" Sam I gotta go check on Emmy she wasn't feeling too well ill be right back ok" I should have seen this coming this was Jade's code for ' I'll give you two space' i side-eyed her silently begging her not to leave instead she winked and gave me thumbs up. " alright people cool down and get off my lawn move move move!!!". I stared at my feet trying not to look at him as he positioned himself next to me and began to stretch. I moved a comfortable distance away from him and began to stretch.

"I was watching you, you were pretty great out there"

"thanks" I smiled

"I'm impressed you were able to run that fast, you know for a girl I mean."

" Excuse me?" He shrugged and shook his head smiling.

"Is that a challenge?". I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes.

"Maybe.." He said mirroring me.

Gosh, how I wish he had worn a long-sleeved shirt or sweater. Not that I'm complaining. Sweat glistened off his tan skin and his veins were bulging out his tonearms. "eyo Jay practice is in five!" one the snobbish jocks called from across the field. " I'm coming" he waved them off

" Sam there's a game this Thursday at four and I'd appreciate it if you came, oh and bring your friend " he began as he started walking back toward the football team. Wait, he plays football? "Sure!" I yelled back making him turn to blow me what felt like a very long kiss.

" Oh, my bubbles what was that!!" Jade screeched jumping up from behind me. I stumbled backwards clenching my chest. "Jade what the heck!? Were you spying on me the whole time?"

" I saw that! when were you planning on telling me!?"

"It's, not a big deal now common let's get changed I'm covered in sweat."

She smirked and walked ahead of me swaying her hips with a little more effort before turning and grinned " he didn't seem to mind".

"Samantha Ashworth please make your way to the reception immediately, Samantha Ashworth to reception please" a feminine voice announced through the school intercom. I stared at George wide-eyed. "what do they want to see me for?" I asked. "Maybe someone's here to see you?" Jade added.

We quickly dashed out of the changing room and made our way to the reception. My heart was pounding in my ears, Jade squeezed my shoulder trying to calm me down. The closer we got to the reception the more nervous I became something just felt off. We turned a corner to find Mr Crawford, Mrs Douglas, and Mr Smith conversing with two police officers.

"Miss Ashworth you are under arrest for the murder of Lillian White" one of the officers said stepping forward with a pair of silver handcuffs. A wave of shock hit me "No it can't be true, Sam?" Jade whispered as the man continued to inform me of my rights. " No I didn't kill her, how could I kill someone who's still alive!? I just saw her thirty minutes ago!" I yelled.

"Samantha", Mr Smith began " we found her body in the janitor's closet they found a bloody scarf in your locker, I still can't bring myself to believe that you are capable committing of such a horrific crime". "George do something! It wasn't me I swear" I yelled tears streaming down my face. She was gone, Lilly was DEAD! As I approached the van my knees felt weak and before I knew it the world around me began to fade away.