Pha

I wasn't really keen on leaving so soon given that I enjoyed spending time with Ming but how do I put it subtly? I glanced at my books as I was eating breakfast. Ah!

I asked him if I could stay a while more to study and he agreed instantly. I smiled inwardly to myself at my so called intelligence. I am sure if Beam or Kit were here, they would have rolled their eyes at me.

Once breakfast was over, he chased me to study whilst he cleaned up. He didn't let me lift a finger and I watched quietly as he did his chores, got his clothes washed, prepped lunch and then sat down to study with me. We spent a good part of our morning mugging. Finally around 2pm, we stopped for lunch.

I went to help him to get it set up as he answered a call. As I was prepping the food, I heard the sound of someone throwing something. I was startled and ran out only to see Ming's phone on the floor and Ming looking pissed as fuck.

"Ming, is everything ok?"

"P... yea. It is. I'm sorry. Just had a disagreement with my brother and I lost my temper. Sorry about this.."

"Hmm okays. Do you want to talk about it? And your phone..."

I went to pick it up as I spoke. Thankfully it wasn't a hard knock and his phone wasn't too shattered. I watched Ming as he walked away, trying to breathe in and out. I went over to him, placing the phone on the couch along the way. He stood facing the wall and I could hear soft sobs from him. What exactly had happened for him to be this upset?

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he stiffened. I gently turned him towards me and just hugged him.

"I have no idea on what happened. But I know you are hurting and right now I want you to know that I am here for you ok?"

I felt Ming hold onto me tightly when I said that and I just held onto him. I ruffled his hair softly as he sobbed quietly, his tears staining my shirt.

No words were exchanged for a while. Finally Ming pulled away, looking at me with red rimmed eyes.

"Dont have to say anything. But if anything, I am still here. I got Ming to sit while I got him some water to drink.

There was just silence for a couple of minutes before I finally heard Ming's voice.

"My brother is going to US to study, which we all know about. But what he didn't tell me specifically was, it was a permanent move. He's not wanting to come back. Ever. He wants to migrate there. That's what I'm not happy about. My parents are divorced. As it is, we both chose to make the collective decision to stay with my mom. But with him migrating, my mom is going with him and that leaves me alone here. They want me to stay with dad when I'm not in the dorm but it's not something I want. I don't understand why he can't study and come back. Why must he stay there? Is Thailand not good enough? Does he not want me anymore?"

I kept quiet listening to Ming. I knew he was upset which is why he was behaving like that. I just let him rant. He eventually fell silent and looked at me. I smiled at him.

"Feel better? Want to get a drink?"

Ming was stunned. "Aren't you going to nag at me? For being ungrateful or something?"

"Why should I? Your feelings are valid Ming. Don't let anyone think otherwise ok. Would you prefer to go see your brother instead? I can accompany you?"

Ming nodded his head. We set off to see his brother. It was a 1 hour journey but worth it. When Ming entered the house, it was silent. He heard voices coming from the room so Ming walked towards it whilst I trailed after him. We heard his brother speaking to his mom.

"He's upset with me Mae. But how do I tell him that I'm doing it for his own good too? I want him to have the best life and US will give him that indirectly. By me working and studying there, I can provide for him. How do I make him understand? I don't want to bring you but I'm getting that opportunity if I brought a parent along as they are big on values. But he.. oh Mae. Should I just not do it?"

Ming listened intently and his tears just dropped. He stepped back quietly from the door and walked away. I followed him out quietly. We went to his garden where there was a swing. Ming sat there,  quietly sobbing.

"Nobody wants to leave their family behind intentionally. He know what he is going to do will be good for you but at the expense of his own happiness. He knows you didn't ask for it or neither does he need to do it. But he wants to do it because he doesn't want you to be short changed by the lack of your father's role in your life. Sometimes we have to take difficult decisions for the ones we love the most Ming."

Ming just looked at me silently. I reached out to caress his face and brought him closer to me. I just held onto him. He sniffled softly.

"Want to go talk to your brother? Make peace?"

Ming nodded. I sent him off towards the house whilst I decided to wait in the garden to give him the privacy. About 30 minutes later, Ming's mum walked out. I stood up, waiing to her respectfully.

"Hello. I'm Ming's mother. You must be Pha. Why are you out here? Come in please "

"It's ok auntie. Just wanted to give all of you the privacy."

"Thank you so much. The advice and reassurance you gave him.. my boys have reconciled now. It's not easy to be living him behind.."

"I know. Don't worry. We will all look after Ming for you."

Ming's mother smiled fondly at that and just touched my hands in gratitude. We went into the house and both boys were there, chatting quietly. When Ming saw me, he stood up beckoning me over. I introduced myself to his brother and we chatted amicably for a while. We stayed on for dinner before finally going back around 10pm.

On the route home, I glanced at Ming who was just quiet, head leaning against the window seat. I just placed my hand over his as I drove single handedly, trying to give him strength.