✧𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑𝑛'𝑡 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑟𝑢𝑛𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒✧𝐾𝑖𝑟𝑎𝑟𝑖

1730 words                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As children, you did as you were told. You were no different. You did what your family asked of you but when you're a Momobami, things were not as simple. Most kids do not remember their childhood, only that it is filled with love, laughter and warmth but all you seem to recall was the illuminant rooms where your gambling competitions where held and the sickening thrill of winning the title of champion.

Most of the time it belonged to someone else.

All Momobami's were well-versed in the art of gambling from young. That means, they can win and manipulate without blinking, without a second thought. But from the very start of the training, Kirari noticed your reluctance. She noticed how you seem to hesitate when you meet their gaze, wondering what they did to deserve death. As you grew, these unnecessary feelings often got in the way of your jobs. Sure, you did your job well enough but you were always hesitating, to land the last blow; you had always wanted to run away. To leave your families twisted rules behind.

"You are not raised as a human," She would whisper in your ear, "Thus it is pointless to act as such."

Those words were enough to land the last blow. You would leave behind you a hectic mess and a manipulative older sister that was actually proud of you for throwing your humanity away. She was going to keep you like this; wrapped up in the chains of your own insecurities. But at one point, you decide that enough is enough and you finally did it.

You ran away.

You were adamant to see the life you never had; a normal life. So you ran away, for two years, leaving behind the deadly gambling and the manipulations that left your skin crawling with a sense of filthiness. Things were tough at first but it got better after a while. You travelled around, meeting people and earning money. Sure, sometimes it was a bother but it was a simple and easy existence that was essentially guilt free. You almost forgot you had a family in the first place.

That was until Hyakkaou private Academy. Despite the fact you were unlucky enough to have a run-in with Ririka, the other pupils made the experience... interesting. There was Yumeko, who simply-mindedly attended the academy to engage in it's sick gambling madness. There was also calm and rational Ryota who attended the school for unknown reasons. There was also Mary, a hot-headed teenager that clearly had a thing going for Ririka. She might appear materialistic with her talk about gambling, but she was a kind woman. No mistake about that. Then there was the most intimidating woman in the entire Academy, Midari.

But the one that you thought was really off was the student council president. Though you haven't yet seen who they are, you've heard enough about them to make your skin crawl just thinking about it. During your free periods you could spot a masked figure watching you around a corner or behind a locker, of course you knew that this could probably be Ririka, but there was just something so.... wrong. It just didn't feel like Ririka was there at all. you had tried to ignore it and pass it off as your paranoia. You had tried not to let it show, but there was something about it that made your skin crawl just like how Kirari used to make you feel.

You only realized how scarily accurate your intuition was during Yumeko's gamble against Kaede. You were sitting in between Ryota and Mary, watching Itsuki and Yumeko on the stage in worry.

Kaede pulled out his checkbook to reveal a hefty amount of money. confidence basically oozing out of him. Yumeko was your friend and as much as you wanted to believe in her, there was this nagging feeling growing stronger with each word that was spoken on the stage. "Are you sure about that Kaede?" You froze as you heard that voice. Slowly, The masked figure pulled off the mask from her face. Behind the mask, revealed a woman of a skinny stature; of pale skin, silver hair and ocean blue eyes.