Chapter 9

Y/N HUDSON

SEPTEMBER 1, 1957

Returning back to Graceland was hard, there was tension running throughout the entire estate and it was unbelievably hard on you.

You had spent the past few nights since the argument crying. Your eyes were puffy and your head was throbbing just a few hours ago. Elvis didn't know you were moving out and you didn't want to tell him. You never wanted to leave his side but it was much more than that.

The time apart should do you both some good, you thought. Elvis had been trying to talk to you ever since you all got back from Washington, but you had been telling him you were busy or your head hurt too much to talk. You've never lied to anyone, let alone Elvis, that much in your life and it hurt.

Now you were packing up the last of your things, the tears stopped since you had nothing more to cry out. You had been rubbing some ice cubes under your puffy eye bags to help with the swelling, and it only made the swelling go down slightly.

Elvis had stopped coming upstairs in general since the last time you said you were too tired and sick to talk. He knew that he couldn't pass your door without checking on you, but every time you denied him entry, he would feel like breaking down.

Now Elvis was sitting on the couch downstairs with Colonel sitting across from him. Colonel was busy making Elvis' schedule for October and Elvis was signing paperwork. His mind was elsewhere, specifically on you, so his signing was sloppy.

Colonel saw this and began making a fuss. As the artist could care less and simply sighed, he heard footsteps coming from the stairs. His head jolted to see if it was you but it was just his Mama carrying a bag of clothes on her hip.

"Colonel, I can't focus on this mess right now," he huffed, shoving the paperwork to the side.

Elvis figured he had enough of the distance between you two and needed to get the truth. He stood up abruptly and made his way to the stairs.

"Satnin, I need you to-" Gladys was cut off as Elvis walked straight past her.

"Ain't that some awful behavior towards your mama!" She called out after him.

Elvis reached your door and let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and opened your door with quite some force.

"Goddamnit, Y/n! I know you say you're sick but it's somethin' else, I know it! You've been trapped in here for days and- and... what are you doing?"

You turned around from the window, frightened from the sudden noises and gave Elvis a worried look. He saw your suitcases on the floor, your vanity had been cleared of all your products, and your walk-in closet door was open; the racks were empty.

"Elvis, I-"

He slammed the door behind him with so much force it seemed to shake the entire property and walked further into the room. One hand was on his hip and one was tangled in his hair. He let out a breathy sigh and blinked rapidly.

"You're leavin' me?" He asked in such a heartbroken tone.

You walked up to him and reached for his hand, but he snatched it away. This automatically set a shift in your world, you knew this had transformed into a bigger mess than what it previously was. Something told you that things would never go back to the way they once were.