Chapter 24

Y/N HUDSON

AUGUST 29, 1960

Days had passed since Elvis went on his date with Priscilla. You never brought it up, but you knew it must've went well. Elvis was getting distant every day that passed and it was eating you alive.

Elvis was throwing a party later tonight. You didn't have the energy to put on a fake smile for hours, but allowing the drinks to flow smoothly throughout your system seemed like a great idea. You wanted to forget about it all; you wanted to forget about Elvis.

You were sitting by the pool by yourself when a familiar voice brought you back to reality.

"Y/n?"

You looked up to Kevin walking towards you with a slight smile. You smiled in return and raised your glasses to sit on the top of your head.

"Hey, Kevin," you started, "surprised you found me."

"Yeah," he said. Kevin sat down next to you and dipped his own legs in the water. "Surprised I found you too. What's up?"

What's up? You thought to yourself. You know what's going on with Elvis, it's all I can think about.

Almost as if Kevin read your mind, he quickly added, "wait— don't answer that. It was a dumb question."

"No, no it wasn't a dumb question," you bluffed. "I'm... I'm doin' a lil' better."

He nodded while kicking his feet in the water. You two sat in silence before he began speaking again.

"Y/n? Why do you let him do this to you?" He inquired.

Confused, you responded, "what? What're you on about?"

"I mean... Why do you let Elvis keep you as the other woman? Why do you let him fuck with your feelings all the goddamn time?"

You sat in silence waiting for the answer to come to your head right away, but it didn't.

Why do you let Elvis keep you as the other woman? Why are you always available for him? Why don't you move on?

These were all questions you yearned to have the answer to; but you can't always get your way in life.

"I dunno," was all you were able to mumble.

"What the hell do you mean you dunno? Y/n, look at me and give me the real reason. Nobody else is here. It's just me and you, come on, open up... please."

You turned your head to look at Kevin. He had an empathetic look on his face that you absolutely hated, yet, you couldn't be more grateful.

"Kevin, I really dunno. I mean... I'm tired of it, yeah. I've been tired of it since the beginning. But- but that's the thing! I've been here since the very beginning! I was here when he didn't have a dollar to his name and when he rose to Mr. Big Shot. I put my life on hold for him. Meanwhile, he gets to sleep around with whoever he wants and the thing is, I'll always be available in his corner!"

"I wanted to go to college, get a real career in maybe criminal justice. But no, he gets to fall in love with whoever and whenever, but I can't. You saw how he was with Seth! I'm always so cheerful and jolly whenever he brings whatever girl around," you paused.

You sighed heavily, letting your head drop. Your hands fell to your sides and hit the smoothened pavement.

"I fell in love... and- and it hurts, y'know? Cuz' what if— like — he's not the right person, wrong timing? What if he's just the wrong person?"