Chapter 12

Y/N HUDSON

NOVEMBER 15, 1957

It had been exactly a week since that night in Honolulu with Elvis. It was safe to say nothing had happened that night, thanks to your niece, Annalise. She had woken up in the middle of the night and came out of the room asking for some food. Either way, when Elvis untied your robe, a black nightgown was revealed underneath, and he looked somewhat disappointed, but you didn't notice.

Currently, you were out with Kassandra and two of the girls you met at Seth's party, Delia, and Jennifer. You all were out at a cute little coffee shop and dressed warmly. Fortunately, as the days went by, it was getting closer to Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the closer it got to Thanksgiving, the colder it got in Memphis. Memphis cold was a different type of cold.

Jennifer and Delia got to know you more and what was going on in your life. You made sure to avoid telling too much, though, as you were cautious of not telling Elvis' business. However, the girls knew as much as Gladys wanted you out of the house, and Colonel tried to comfort you and assure you that you'd be back given some time. Ultimately, the decision was up to you and Elvis.

Recently, you've been on the phone with Elvis, some late nights and some early mornings when the artist wasn't busy, which was rare. He's been inching closer and closer to making you finally give in and just return to Graceland. What you didn't know was that Elvis officially thought he was losing you. He noticed how the calls got shorter, your voice grew bland and monotone on the phone, and worst of all, in his opinion, your friendship was crumbling apart.

None of this was actually happening in reality, it was just Elvis overthinking. The calls got shorter because you both ran out of things to say, not having spent much time together. The weather was getting colder, and coming back from Hawaii, the sudden change was disastrous. You had gotten somewhat sick and you had been congested for the week following the trip. There was no counterclaim on behalf of your friendship falling apart, simply because the truth can be undeniable at times.

Now, Jennifer and Delia were interested in reuniting the bond between you and Elvis. This made you and Kassandra giggle, as you both knew that it would happen over some time like it always does.

"I think you should bribe your way into his heart," Delia jokingly suggested.

"Bribe Elvis Presley? Yeah, that's a no-go," you replied.

"She doesn't need to do anything with Elvis, Delia," Jennifer argued, looking at Delia. She turned her head back to you with a smile and said, "it's nothing wrong with you and Elvis. What you need to do is figure out what's wrong with you and Mrs. Presley." I nodded which made Jennifer continue on, "she's a mother who raised a family that basically came from nothing, and her son shot up into the sky of fame overnight, like a rocket! Mrs. Presley is worried, she's in a marriage, but I bet she's had relationships before. She knows how hard break-ups can be, which is why she's trying to protect Elvis as much as she can."

Everything began to make sense to you and your resentment for Gladys seemed to vanish into history that very second. You smiled and stirred your hot coffee around.

"Or she's trying to protect you, Y/n," Kassandra chimed in.

Everyone looked at her like she was crazy and you and Jennifer simultaneously asked, "what do you mean?"

"C'mon, Y/n, let's snap back to reality for a second, step out of your celebrity-crush-fantasy. Elvis is getting famous, he's already at the top of the fuckin' world! He's a celebrity who tours. You know, girls are over him, and Elvis is no better than a boy as he is a man. He's surrounded by girls galore. When there's no one else around, like you since you haven't been at Graceland or accompanied him to most shows, and some girl is throwing herself at him, what do you think is gonna happen?"