Chapter 13

Y/N HUDSON

DECEMBER 20, 1957

It had been a month since you returned to Graceland. Everything was slowly falling back into place. Gladys wasn't too happy with it, but then came to terms that she couldn't do anything about it. I felt bad, I saw the way she looked at me, and after thinking about what Kassandra said, I took Gladys' expressions into consideration.

Gladys no longer looked at you with hate or fury in her eyes, but she looked at you with worry. Now, anytime you and Elvis were close, she stood back and watched from afar, shaking her head and with a laundry basket at hip. It was a little concerning and you were starting to become curious.

Now, it was the afternoon and everyone was getting ready to go ice skating that night. You wearing a 'mini dress' grey wool coat, with a thick turtleneck sweater underneath along with a matching knit skirt and stockings. You were about to zip up your boots before seeing Gladys walk by your room. Deciding to get some closure on everything you zipped up your boots, grabbed your fuzzy hat, and rushed out the room to find her.

Gladys was cleaning up the jungle room and you were leaning against the doorway, watching her until she turned around, dirty plates in hand. She jumped and let out a relieved sigh, looking at you confusedly.

"Y/n? Lord, you scared me." She laughed awkwardly.

"Mrs. Presley," you started, "why didn't you want me here at Graceland with everyone?"

She furrowed her brows, setting the plates back down, she put her hands on her hips. She shook her head and brushed her hands down her dress.

"Y/n, I never had a problem with you. You are the sweetest girl I've ever seen Elvis bring home to us. I didn't want you here because you are going to get hurt the longer you stay."

"What do you mean?" You played dumb to get a better explanation. Your shoulders slouched in disappointment; Kassandra was right.

"Elvis is my son, and I'm his mother. I've been through relationships when I was your age and currently a marriage. I know how boys are, and I know how Elvis will be. He can't stay loyal forever, and Y/n, you're a sweet girl who deserves better."

You let out a small laugh and wrapped your arms around yourself. Your bottom lip began to quiver and your smile faltered.

"My friend told me you were doing that exact thing," tears began to pour down your eyes and your head dropped to the floor.

Gladys wrapped her arms around you and swayed your bodies back and forth. She shushed you as your sobs became louder and your body began to shake.

"You would be the perfect girl for Elvis, Y/n, but if he hurts you, you both would be a devastated mess," she explained further.

"Do you still want me out?" You asked quietly, pulling away to look at her.

"I want you to be strong, Y/n. As long as you can do that, you can and you will stay here with us."

You nodded and she put a hand on your cheek, her thumb caressing your skin.

After some time, the crying stopped and your mascara had ran down your cheeks with the tears. Gladys was looking at you with a soft gaze, and her hands were now holding yours.

"I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight," you gave her a weak smile.

She nodded and said, "I understand. You just make sure you enjoy yourself, and you know... Find yourself."