Chapter 23

Y/N HUDSON

AUGUST 23, 1960

Later on that day, it was time for Elvis to go on the date with Priscilla. You were sitting at the kitchen island flipping through fashion magazines. You made a few personal notes for your own wardrobe. You were trying to distract yourself from Elvis.

As you flipped to the next page, you were scared by a set of large hands slamming onto the counter in front of you. Your head shot up and in front of you was Kevin with a small smile.

"Well someone's quiet today," he said smugly. He propped his elbows onto the smooth counter while holding his chin.

You shrugged and flipped to the next page before Kevin reached over to snatch the magazine from your grasp. You furrowed your brows and looked at him with an irritated look.

"What do you want Kev?" You asked.

He shrugged as well, going over to the wine cabinet and picking out a bottle and two glasses. He set the three items in front of you and began to open the bottle.

"Well, just try'na see what's up with you. I'm surprised you aren't out with 'Big E'."

He pushed your half full glass towards you and you quickly grabbed it and took two big sips. Kevin shook his head while laughing slightly.

"Elvis is seeing Priscilla tonight," you huffed.

His eyes widened as he took a sip of his own glass. "Priscilla?! He's seeing her again?"

You nodded. "I'm just as surprised as you are. He's lying about it to me, but I heard him talking to her on the phone."

"Well, maybe they're just going to talk."

You let out a loud howl as you began to laugh. "You're a gorgeous, young girl going out to dinner with Elvis Presley, and you think you're only going to TALK?!" You shook your head, "we all know what'll happen... then she'll be back here."

Kevin nodded and folded his hands in front of him. "Well, we also know that Elvis loves ya, man. It's obvious."

"Well if it's so goddamn obvious, why is he going out to dinner with his ex? Why is he lying to me? Why is he... why is he the way he is?!" You questioned.

To be fair, you didn't know the answer to that single question. Why was Elvis acting like this? Why is he always taking you for granted? But at the same time, why are you letting him?

"Y/n, love does crazy things to people," Kevin said.

"So does jail. And I just might go there for stranglin' that damned man to death."

"Calm down, jeez! You are not goin' to jail, Y/n, and you are not strangling Elvis."

"You wanna bet?"

Just as you said that, Elvis walked into the kitchen wearing his best suit and shoes. His hair was perfected and his teeth looked extra white, his cologne was extra strong. You couldn't help but look at him with a disgusted glare.

"Where ya' goin' hot-shot? Thought you didn't have plans," you said through gritted teeth.

He looked between you and Kevin before walking over to you both. He snaked his arm around your waist and squeezed your hip before bringing his head down to your ear.

"My room by 11:30, we need to talk," he whispered sternly.

You didn't do anything except look at him. He was intensely staring into your eyes. Almost as if you had no control over your body, something inside of you made you nod and look at the ground with a solemn expression.

When Elvis left the house and slammed the door behind him, you looked back up at Kevin who was now shaking his head with a stern expression.

"Are you kidding me, Y/n. You're just gonna let him do that to you?" Kevin asked.

You didn't know what to say so you began biting the inside of your cheek in thought.

"You've gotta be joking me right now, Y/n."

He scoffed and left the kitchen, leaving you and your thoughts alone.

11:30 couldn't have come any sooner, it felt like 5 minutes ago you were just talking to Kevin and Elvis in the kitchen. Right now, you were sitting on the edge of Elvis' bed, fiddling with your thumbs. You were wearing a peach colored nightgown and had just gotten out of the shower about an hour ago.

You were beginning to doze off just sitting there, but you were brought back to reality when the door creaked open. You turned your head and standing in the doorway was the silhouette of Elvis.

"Lil' mama?"

"Elvis?" You responded.

He shut the door behind him and began to take his suit off. You stood up and walked over to him and started to help him take off his pieces. He was turned the opposite way from you but anyone could sense the tension between you two from a mile away.

"Where'd you go, E?" You had previously asked him, but he never answered.

"I went to a business meeting." He hesitantly said.

You stopped helping him for a brief moment. You wanted to slap him for lying to your face like that. But, you kept calm and continued to take off his jacket.

"This late at night?" You added.

He simply said 'mhm' and made his way to his bathroom. When he opened the door, he turned back to look at you.

"Stay here, I'll only be a minute." And with that, he shut the door behind him.

It was a quick 15 minute shower. You were laying on the bed propped up on the bed frame while watching the TV, and Elvis had fully opened the door by now. He was brushing his teeth and his body was covered by his robe.

"Hey, baby?" He called out after spitting the toothpaste out in the sink and rinsing his mouth out.

"Yeah?"

He came out the bathroom and took off his robe, hanging it up behind the door. He was left shirtless with his black boxers on. He was in shape and it always left you speechless upon seeing him this way. He climbed into the bed and wrapped his arms around you, pulling you down to his chest.

You nudged your head up and met Elvis' gaze. He smiled slightly and pulled you in for a kiss. You kissed him back for a moment before pulling away and laying back down. His hand stayed wrapped around your waist and his body still was turned to face you.

"Would you ever lie to me Elvis?" You blurted out, crossing your arms as you said so.

He stared at you blankly before answering. He sat up a little more and you noticed that his breath hitched.

"C'mon baby-girl... Ya'know I wouldn't dare."

Hearing those words made you furious. You were careful not to show too much emotion but he was still lying straight to your face.

"What made you think about that, mama?" He tried using that deep, sexy voice on you. If you hadn't known the truth already, you probably would've fell for it.

"Oh nothin'... it's just nice to hear it every once in awhile. It just... makes me trust you more, y'know?" You innocently said. "Well, it's getting late. Let's go to sleep, E."

He let out a small 'uh-huh' before getting out of bed to go turn the TV off. You were laying on your side by the time he returned to the bed. That caused him to crawl next to you and spoon you against his body.

Probably 30 minutes passed before you fell asleep. You thought Elvis was asleep already, but right before you closed your eyes, you heard Elvis mumble under his breath.

"I'm sorry, baby."