Chapter 16

Y/N HUDSON

MAY 14, 1960

Two months passed, and you've been working your ass off to organize Elvis' show that was happening in two weeks. You brought up the idea to Colonel and Vernon and they loved it. It was just a handful to schedule Elvis.

A week after the kitchen incident with Elvis, he's been doing exactly what you told him to do: treat you like an assistant. He's limited the conversations between you two, and you barely joke around with him anymore. You've kept yourself busy while being locked up in your room or his office for the quietness. Elvis would still take Annalise out, and he still played with her and treated her as his own, and that was one thing you still loved about Elvis; his kindness.

A few weeks ago, Elvis invited everyone out to dinner, including you. Well, you didn't get an invitation directly from Elvis, but George had told you to come along anyways. You didn't like the fact that it felt like you were inviting yourself, but George convinced you it was alright and Elvis wouldn't bite.

So that night, you dropped Annalise off at Seth's for a few days and drove yourself to the restaurant. You were only a few minutes late, but that was alright since Elvis wasn't even there yet. Everyone welcomed you with smiles and you removed your scarf and coat to take your seat.

You wondered where Elvis was but didn't audibly question it. Instead, you were talking up a storm with Sonny and Red, who were on either side of you. All conversations ceased when Elvis made his way up to the table with a girl glued to his side.

She had long, black hair which was ratted up at the top of her head and curled to perfection towards the ends. She was beautiful. She had on a deep shade of pink lipstick and blue eyes. Her brows were thin and plucked to perfection. She was wearing an orange dress and was also matching Elvis as he had on an orange shirt under his black blazer.

"Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend. Priscilla."

Since then, things began to change around Graceland. Mrs. Jenkins began to make more salads and lots of them. Elvis was convinced that Priscilla was the one for him and he was doing anything he could to satisfy her. The iconic red carpet of Graceland changed into a light tan color. She said it clashed with the blue walls.

Elvis and Priscilla were matched anywhere they would go. Overall, they looked like the perfect Hollywood couple. And it made you sick to your stomach.

To top it all off, one night when you couldn't sleep, you went to make yourself some hot chocolate. You heard music playing, but when you looked at the record player, there was no record on the platter. You observed that the fire was still burning in the living room and it was around midnight. You found this strange as there hadn't been any parties going on recently and everyone was beginning to get back on a regular sleep schedule.

The glass doors of the living room were shut and as you placed a hand on the door handle, you looked through your glasses and saw Priscilla and Elvis sitting together on the piano. One of Elvis' arms was wrapped around Priscilla's waist. He was playing a song you hadn't heard before. Curious as to what was going on, you moved to the side and pressed your back against the wall as you listened.

"Take my whole life too," he sang sweetly to her, "for I can't help... Falling in love with you."

You rolled your eyes at the song, but your feet refused to lead your body somewhere else.

"Darling so it goes, some things are meant to be," he continued.

As the words slipped out of Elvis' mouth, you took them into consideration. Were you and Elvis not meant to be? The bigger question in your mind, though, could you be?