3: Finding out

Visenya was yet to officially accept her sister's proposal

Visenya was yet to officially accept her sister's proposal. She had a lot to think about now that Rhaenyra decided to move to Dragonstone. 

If she accepted it, she would have to leave everything she had ever known behind. Her father and her siblings, including Aemond. But if she denied it, she would lose her chances of becoming a queen and she would lose her sister. The only mother figure she had ever had.

Of course, it was expected of her to accept it. Jacaerys was a good match. A King to be. It was her duty to do it, but something kept holding her back. 

And now that Aegon and Helaena were betrothed, Visenya knew she had to make a call sooner than later.

She watched as her younger sister played with a big spider saying things she did not manage to understand.

"Sister" Visenya looked at her eyes when she called her. "Do you think I'm weird?"

"You're different, Helaena." The older softly smiled as she sat down next to her. "Some people find it weird, I find it brave."

"Aegon thinks I'm weird." Helaena replied with a tone of sadness in her voice.

"Aegon is an idiot. Idiots say idiotic things. Now, sister, do we care about idiotic things?"

"No." 

"Good." Visenya nodded and got up.

"Two dragons playing the game of trust and love." Helaena whispered focusing back on her spider.

"What?" The older frowned but left it pass as she saw her brothers close to them and decided to join them.

"What were you talking about?"

"My marriage to our sweet crazy sister." Aegon answered with bitterness gaining a look from Visenya. "And also the fact that Aemond would gladly marry you if mother asked him to."

"Really?" She gave the youngest an amusing look as he turned red. 

"Too bad you are to wed Jace, sister." The moment those words left Aegon's mouth she knew she was fucked.

"Wait, what?" Aemond frowned with confusion. 

"Rhaenyra asked her if she'd marry her son." Aegon continued to explain calmly, unaware of the chaos he was making. Or maybe he knew and he just didn't care.

"But you said no, right?" Aemond faced her with glimmer of panic on his eyes that made something shake inside her heart. "Visenya, you said no, didn't you?"

"I'm still considering it. Father's giving me a choice. But I'm 15 and I need to marry."

"Then marry someone else!" Aemond raised his voice making some people around the trio to stare. He sighed and left, not before giving her a final look of disappointment. 

"Great, thanks Aegon." She said with anger.

"You are always welcome, my dear sister." He grinned. "Come on, you can't blame me, or Aemond. Anyone who sees the way he looks at you knows that he is completely in love with you, Visenya. He has been ever since he was 5 years old." Aegon whispered and then followed the steps of a maid to get more wine.

Visenya stood there. In the middle of Laena Velaryon's funeral. Alone, but with her mind deep on her thoughts.

...

The night fell and with that, the King went off to bed. Nevertheless, on his way he called Alicent by other's name. 

Aemma.

Visenya lost the count of how many times her father had confused her for her mother. The sad truth was that the girl didn't know the way her mother looked, but everyone who did usually reminded her of how similar they were. And the princess knew of how much of a curse that was for her father.

"I'm sorry." Visenya whispered at Alicent with empathy on her eyes. 

"Don't worry, dear." The Queen smiled softly at the girl.

Alicent Hightower and Visenya Targaryen had a strange relationship. Of course, Alicent never tried to be her mother. She knew far too well she could never be Rhaenyra, no matter how hard she tried. But she couldn't manage to find bitterness on her heart for the little girl. She was good and kind to her children and she was the only one who didn't treat Aemond badly.

But she wasn't stupid. She knew how much Visenya respected and loved Rhaenyra. She knew that the girl would defend her as the Targaryen she was, with fire and blood.

...

"Aemond." Visenya called her brother as Aegon was taken away by his grandfather, drunk as a sailor. 

Aemond stood silent, his expression was serious, but it softened slightly when he looked at her. It was always like that. Like the way he looked at her was different from how he looked at everyone else. Still, his words were rough:

"What do you want?"

"I don't like to fight with you. But you must understand..."

"That you were just going to leave me without telling me?" He interrupted her. 

"Well, nothing has been decided yet, Aemond."

"Please, do enlighten me about the reason you are taking so long to go wed the handsome strong boy."

"Because I don't want to leave you, you piece of shit!" Visenya confessed frustrated, which took Aemond aback. "But you need to understand that wedding Jace is what is expected of me, it's what everyone wants me to do."

"I don't want you to do that." The prince whispered, not being able to look at her as he opened his heart. "Do you think there was ever a possibility of you and I? Is that too much to hope for? You're the only person who truly showed me love, Vis. I don't want to lose you."

"And you won't." The girl promised taking his hand. "I will always be there for you. I'm just a dragon away to go back to King's Landing from Dragonstone." Aemond chuckled at the silly joke, making Visenya smile. "Speaking of dragons, I believe there is one who sadly just lost her rider."

Aemond put his eyes on her again, finding a mischievous yet knowing look. 

Vhagar.