4. Déjà Vu

After spending five years practically alone, the two months that had passed since the finalisation of Mona's divorce didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Her new norm didn't feel very new.

He was still on her mind daily. She wondered how his new life was compared to her mundane one.

She wondered what his hidden secret that was no secret anymore felt like now that he could show it off to the world.

She wondered how his parents had reacted to the news. Probably with a lot of excitement. The same parents who she never got the approval from for being as they called it a 'foreigner'.

He had found them the daughter-in-law of their dreams, the polite sensible, all American girl that understood their cultural references and jokes.

The upside of her free time was that she was able to talk to her parents on the phone more regularly. She didn't have any siblings and no friends in countryside so it could get lonely at times. Her favourite cousins lived in all parts of the world, however not one of them had chosen America as their forever home.

Her parents didn't know about her divorce and she didn't want them to. If they did, she knew they would worry and insist that she came back home. She didn't want that.

Despite feeling alone, she enjoyed the simplicity of farm life. It gave her purpose to look after the animals and to breathe in the fresh air.

"Dalia!" The Arab wheezed out, placing her hands on her knees and bending down slightly as she tried to catch her breath. "Now is not the time to play hide and seek, you silly little bird."

At the mention of the word bird, the sassy little chicken clucked at her causing her to drop her mouth open in realisation.

"You're right." Mona muttered, sending an apologetic look her way. "That was uncalled for but I wouldn't have to call you the b word if you didn't constantly run away from me."

Another cluck, this one was less sassy and more softer.

She hummed in understanding. "I get it. You're a child of divorce and you're bound to be acting out during such a tough time in your life. I should know better."

Cluck, cluck, cluck..

She rose a brow. "Yeah well, he's not coming back so boo freaking hoo. I'm sorry, D. Tell you what though, I'll let you run away for a few extra minutes tomorrow morning for the heck of it, how's that sound?"

Apparently it sounded great for the chicken as she fluttered her wings, leaving her owner to shake her head in disappointment.

Dalia seemed to have a lot on her mind. She noted that the young chicken needed some intense therapy and ushered her back into the coop.

Was she losing her mind talking to her animals like their were humans?

No. Fuck no.

Her animals had feelings and therefore they were human enough for her. Of course, she would never admit that to anyone out loud otherwise she'd most likely be sent away.

She was half-kidding, she liked pretending, it kept her less lonely and truthfully speaking, amused her.

It was an ordinary Saturday. She worked out on the fields for a few hours, before wandering back into the farmhouse to find Otto lounging on his dog bed.

After a hearty dinner and some much needed self care, she got ready for bed.

She slept on top of the king sized bed in a white cotton vest and some boy shorts.

It was far too warm for covers, so she draped a thin blanket over her body and let sleep overtake her.

To most, her routine felt boring and unfulfilled, yet to her, it made her feel serene and safe.