5. Questions

Unfortunately, her traitorous little shit of a chicken was overjoyed to have her father back home.

Sipping on her hot tea, her dark brown eyes took in the sight of his tall figure hunched over the chicken coop.

She woke up bright and early the next morning to find the man she told to more or less get lost, on her farm, mending the animals.

He hadn't come inside as she refused to let him in. Though that wasn't to say she was starving him she had slid out some black coffee- the way he liked it and his favourite fry-up on a breakfast tray, approximately an hour ago.

Mona had this bizarre knot in the pit of her stomach, she wasn't sure if it was anxiety or something darker but his appearance was making her feel queasy.

She wanted to know everything. Why did he break things off with the very girl he left her for?

Why was he back?

And so soon at that.

The two months away from him had done her good whereas it appeared that had been the opposite for him.

She wasn't sure why when he had been distant and away from her mentally and emotionally for so long now. It should've been easier for him to deal with, far easier than her.

As he neared the kitchen window, she found herself looking at him and taking another sip of her drink. Their eyes met and she saw a rawness spreading across them.

The window was slightly ajar so she could hear him clearly when he uttered the words, "So after an intense conversation and chase down, I finally managed to get through to D."

She didn't reply.

But that was enough for him to continue talking. "She says she's very fucking disappointed in how stupid Daddy is, but we agreed that she would really like it if her Umi let Daddy in for a shower since he's all stinky."

She tried not to smile at the comment but failed miserably. She hid her amusement behind her cup.

"There's a hose outside. Tell my little darling D, that Daddy can shower to his heart's content out there and then leave through the back gate."

"I need to use clean water, Mona. Do you want me to use contaminated water and get E. coli?"

It was a rhetorical question, yet it was one that she had no problem answering in a split second.

"Actually, that would be my dream. I mean, after all, you did contaminate this marriage first by sticking your dick into another woman, so a bacterial infection should be the least of your worries." She said in a sickly sweet tone, grinning over at him.

Putting her cup down, she moved towards the window and her hand found the valance. His eyes followed her hand as she went to pull the strings and put the blind down.

He was quick to resist, sticking his head through the little space in the window. "Come on, baby. Let me in. I promise I'll leave you alone after you let me talk."

"If I let you in now then the rest of the rats will follow and I don't really feel like putting out a million traps."

Albeit a petty remark, it felt good to be able to roast him in the open. She was tired of doing it in her head for so many years that she was going to let every and any joke slip.

"I deserve that and the worst, but I just need five minutes of your time. That's all. I swear."

"And why would I give you that, Heath? If you deserve the worst like you say you do, then you'd know that you don't get five minutes of my time. Not now, not ever."