56. Wasted Times

"I'm gonna head out to the store to get you Plan B, did you want anything else?"

Mona hesitated, looking over at the man who was halfway in the door. He was waiting for her answer so he could leave as she mixed something in a large mixing bowl.

He had no idea what she was doing, all he knew was that he couldn't go in until she called him.

After their very tense and awkward morning visit, they had eaten lunch together before she told him that after lunch, she needed to do something important and he couldn't be a part of it.

He agreed, figuring he could spend the time going to the store and picking up some essentials for them.

"About that," her tone was meek, almost as if she was embarrassed to say it out loud. "I don't think it's necessary."

"What do you mean, hayati?"

She loved how easy it was in for him to call her such names, it was second nature at this point. Even if they had not seen or spoken to each other for five months.

"I mean I trust you and I'm in no personal rush for it, unless of course you would prefer us to be protected. The only thing I will say is that you will have to wear condoms if you want that because I'm not going on the pill ever again."

She knew where he stood on the topic, the risk of her falling pregnant was something he wanted to happen. At the end of the day, it was her choice but Heath knew if she did fall pregnant then it would become the best day of his life.

"Why would I want that, Mo? Condoms make no sense with you." His ears perked. "But what if you fall pregnant?"

She pursed her lips, turning her attention onto the mixing bowl. "Is that really an issue?"

They hadn't spoken about this topic in years because truthfully speaking, why would they?

When they had first gotten married, they were still in their early twenties and decided it would be best to wait a few years before kids were in the picture. However, by the time she was ready for a family, he had become distant.

They hadn't slept together in so long, it honestly felt strange to discuss babies.

He didn't sound like himself, his tone soft and vulnerable. "Mo, we should talk about this properly."

"We are. I'm telling you right now that I don't want to get on the pill again."

"But I can't wear condoms with you, you know I can't fucking do that."

"Then don't." She sighed heavily. She dropped her mixing bowl and forced herself to walk over to him. She feared he would come inside and ruin the surprise she had planned and so she took matters into her own hands. Rather literally.

His dark hair was mussed as if he had just crawled out of bed, but she knew it was from running his hands through it. His anxiousness was loud and proud, it hadn't settled for hours now.

Wanting to fix that problem, she rose up on her tiptoes and brought her arms out to loosely circle around his neck. Since she was a lot shorter then him, she had to push her head further upward.

Heath hung his head and looked sideways at her. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know." Her eyebrows furrowed. She felt haunted by the weight in his eyes. "But what I do know is that what is meant to be will be."

He eagerly accepted her embrace, his shaking hands settling on her curvy hips and pulling her flush against his front.

She gently stroked the back of his hair and rocked back on her heels. "If something happens then we shouldn't need to worry," she promised him. "As long as we have each other, it will be okay."