20. Wake Up Call

Her light and airy giggles were filling up the toasty kitchen.

Flour covered her face as he felt her push a steady hand against his chest. "Heath... give me the sauce, you're going to ruin the dough!" Her laughter trailed off into a warning and he could do nothing but look down at her. "I hate it extra saucy, and I don't want to eat a disgusting pizza. I'm hungry!"

He grunted at her touch when she tried pushing him away from her. "Do I need to remind you of my roots? I'm half Italian, I know what I'm doing if you back away and let me breathe for once. If the base is shit, then the pizza will be too."

He still hadn't gone home after their steamy moment earlier in the study, though they hadn't dared to mention it- she asked him if he wanted to make pizzas for dinner, and who was he to say no.

Especially when he wanted to get into her good books.

He'd cook, clean, whatever it took to spend time with her.

"Yes, I know that. You're half-Italian half-dumbass. I don't trust you to make a nice pizza."

She immediately regretted that when he scooped up more flour in his hand, and smushed her entire face in it. "Shut up already."

"Habibi!" Shouted Mona, scowling as she felt the curious dog brush up against her legs. "I just washed my hair!"

Habibi. They both stopped for a moment, taking her words in.

Crap, she hadn't called him that in forever.

Being the annoying man he was, he didn't let it slide. "Habibi, huh?" He teased. "Careful, now. You're being a little too friendly with me, might get the wrong idea."

She cleared her throat, wiping at her face and turning her back to him. She pretended to busy herself with rolling the dough when he eyed her. "I don't know what you're talking about. You sure you're not losing your hearing, old man?"

Heath licked his dry lips, stepping behind her. His warmth engulfed her on instant, his strong arms coming either side of her.

A brave step closer before his hands came down on top of her own, she froze.

"I can hear perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure I heard something like ha-ha-habibi?"

She hated that a smile was forcing its way onto her lips, his breath tickling her and making her tilt her head a little to the side. "Mm. You didn't."

"Oh, but I think I did."

He began kneading the dough with her, intertwining their fingers together whilst his breath hit her neck.

It was hard not to let him affect her when he could be so flirty and gentle with her. She liked it when he was this way, it reminded her of their younger days.

"Heath..." she dragged out.

"Mona..." He teased back, making her laugh again and bite down on her bottom lip.

"You have your own pizza to make, bucko. Quit digging your dirty paws into mine."

When they heard Otto howl behind them, his body warmth was gone and she turned to see him bending down.

"What's wrong, boy?" He muttered, comforting the dog with genuine concern.

"He's been like this all week. I don't know what's spooked him but he refuses to leave my side." She explained from her position, causing Heath to look up at her.

"That's weird, he's usually the one protecting you. What's up, boy? You not feeling well?"

It was no surprise that he got no reply since well, he was speaking to a dog, but rather the dog cosied up to his owner. He whimpered a few more times making both of them frown.