51. Cupid's Day

Ten days had passed by, and in those ten days, Mona had received ten different love letters in the mailbox.

He had gone back to Chicago as expected, obviously there was no way he would not be staying with her. However, he had told her that he was going to work nonstop for the rest of the following week because he had been waiting to take some much-needed time off work.

She wasn't sure why he needed to take time off work, choosing not to question it.

The last thing she needed to do she had done. Mona had unblocked his number and now they were in contact on everything again. It felt strange, she spent five months bettering herself and for some reason, she didn't feel like it had been wasted by her actions.

It was a Saturday morning, she was standing in her kitchen in a pair of her fluffiest slippers and a baby-pink silk robe on. The robe reached mid-thigh, her bare body feeling like butter against the material.

Her blurry eyes read over the small note, it laid against her countertop whilst she ate her breakfast.

Hayati,

You wanna hear the story about the day that I knew I loved you?

It was on our fourth date. I know what you're thinking right now, isn't that fucking early? We had only known each other for four weeks at that point. Every week I was seeing you for a date, trying to make sure you were free enough to see me. And I guess it worked since you always accepted.

Our fourth date in the city was the exact moment I knew I loved you and I would have to marry you one day.

I don't know if you still remember it, but I'll tell you what I can remember. I got to your dorm room at seven, dressed in my best fit, ready to take you out on another date. When I got to your place, I found you in a pair of jeans and a tank top. I remember thinking, 'does this chick not know that Bellini's is a fancy place where you gotta dress up nice?'. Looking back now, I realise I was a dickhead in those days, and looks were the only thing I cared about.

Anyway, you told me you'd like to decide the date and if it would be okay for me to cancel the booking. I don't know how I agreed to that, Bellini's had this shitty pre-payment service where I had splashed some extra cash out of my rent money to make sure we had the best table. But seeing you in front of me and knowing you still wanted me to spend the evening with you was enough reassurance.

I remember going into your place and seeing a bunch of shit set out on your table. You asked me if I wanted to help you finish the care packs you were making. I had no clue what the fuck a care pack was.

It was then that I knew you're the type of girl no guy would want to let go of if he found her.

A care pack in your terms was for those who lived out on the streets or needed some care. We were making care packs for homeless people.

Our fourth date was spent ordering greasy pizza in, making these care packs and then we went around the city for hours handing out fuck knows how many bags in total.

I asked you that night why you decided to do something like that and you looked at me like I was crazy and told me it wasn't something new in your routine. It was something you did regularly, and if I had an issue with it then you weren't sure if we could be friends.

I don't know how many hints I needed to give you for you to realise I didn't want to be just friends with you.

But you see now why the fourth date was the one for me. Loving you that early on was easy, it was bound to happen when you're around a woman as whole as you.