9. Bleed Me Dry

"She wants to meet me for dinner tonight to talk about everything."

Mona looked away from Gertie, the eldest cow, and her gaze fell onto his dark brown eyes.

Her response was vague and short, there were a lot of flies around, though she didn't see any, unfazed by then. "Then go. No one's stopping you."

It went silent for a moment before she snorted, adding. "I mean it's not like that was even an issue for you before the divorce."

Heath sighed reluctantly, coming to crouch down next to her, he hiked his trousers up a little so that they didn't touch the dirt.

His voice was thick, full of emotion. "That's the thing, I don't want to see her."

"Mhm. And you're telling me this because?" Her dry tone was nothing out of the ordinary, prolonging her words.

"Because I want to stay here with you, hayati. For good. I miss you in every fucking way imaginable, I can't even close my eyes without thinking about you."

She frowned immediately at that, a bitter taste spreading in her mouth. "Yet here you are talking to me about her."

Heath wondered if he had done something wrong again, he wasn't sure why she was getting worked up by this.

Did she not want to know? He thought, confused. This was him trying to do the right thing, he didn't want to hide anything from her ever again.

"I'm telling you why she's trying to contact me again, I thought you'd want to know." He explained honestly, searching her face with his eyes.

"I don't."

That was when the clueless man started to realise his stupidity, he cussed under his breath.

It came out so quickly and with no further warning.

"Baby," he pleaded gently, moving his hand up to cup her small face and carefully tipping her chin up to look at him. "don't fucking do that."

He was talking about the visible tears he could see welling up in her eyes, not liking the way she was getting affected by his stupid comment.

He felt like a real asshole, watching her get upset over something he thought would relieve her. He kept royally fucking up, unsure of how to make anything right.

It didn't help that she was one of those pretty criers, her pouty lips would pucker slightly and her nose would start to scrunch before he heard soft, small sniffles filter through. It was always hard to see her cry.

She was usually so composed and fierce.

Her eyes went glossy, the touch of him on her skin feeling alien. "I'm not doing anything, Heath." She snapped harshly. "You came here just to bother me about her, why the hell would I give a damn."

"You're right, I'm a fucking dickhead and I'm sorry. Please don't cry over this, I didn't mean to make you upset again."

Of course, that didn't help, her sight started to get blurry as tears started to stream down her face. Her hands dropped from the cow's teats, her bottom lip going.

"Mo, don't cry."

"I-I can't help it." She bit back, sobbing openly now. "You ruined the good m-mood I was in and I h-hate you for it!"

She was right. She had been doing her morning chores, humming to herself cheerfully and hoping her house guest would leave soon when he wanted to barge into the barn and try to be truthful for once.

Didn't he have work or something, she thought bitterly. Why the heck was he still here?

What part of leaving her alone did he not get?