54. Falling

Loud barks woke her up out of her slumber – incessant and demanding – causing her to groan.

She didn't feel very well rested, moving to shove her face into the opposite pillow. "Otto, not right now, Mama needs to sleep."

The fur ball didn't get the hint and barked louder, she could only whine in annoyance. Forcing her eyes open, she gave the hopeful dog a narrowed stare, he was waiting at the foot of the bed for her.

"Is he tryna steal you away from me already?" The familiar voice entered the room as she snapped her head over to the door. "Cheeky little bastard never did like to share your attention."

After her breakdown, he had gotten her situated for bed and they went to sleep together. He held her close to him the whole night, letting her lay on top of him.

If he was being honest, he had gotten no sleep, feeling rougher than she did. However, her mental state mattered more to him than sleep and he was happy to be uncomfortable for her sake.

Coming in the room from the balcony door, she gave him a heavy regard. Then her eyes were flickering onto the bedside alarm clock and she was certain they almost bulged out.

"Oh my gosh, it's four in the morning," Mona said in horror, she snapped her attention back onto his. "No wonder I feel like acid had been poured into my eyes, I'm exhausted. Why are you awake, habibi?"

Habibi.

He sat down on the edge of the bed as the sentiment washed over him, it had been so long since she called him that.

"Couldn't sleep." With a pause, he decided to let Otto onto the bed and watched the sleepy dog curl up into the very middle. He then got into the bed, under the covers and reached for her. "I went for a smoke outside."

She frowned at that, not liking his casual reply. She didn't like knowing he smoked, it always worried her.

He placed her onto his lap, putting the blanket over them as he rested against the headboard. Since he was so much taller, he rested her head on her shoulder and came a little closer, feeling her soft belly with one of his large hands.

Cuddling into his arms, she put her head back on his chest, reaching in to find one of his hands. The sleepy man closed his eyes above her, relishing in her touch as she grazed over his skin.

Her fingers seemed to be on his ring finger, deliberately stroking the area where he had ink.

The room was dark, void of any light.

"Are we just going to pretend that you didn't get more tattoos? I thought your hands and neck were a big no-zone. What about work?"

"I realised I don't give a shit." He replied, still eyes clamped shut and his controlled breathing following through. "Why – you don't like them?"

She pursed her lips in heavy thought. "One of them is my name and the other is my date of birth." She pointed out, ever so bluntly.

They hadn't even been in contact and he was getting her tatted on him. It was truly insane.

He hummed, agreeing. "Ah, so you can read. Congrats, baby, I'm proud of you."

Mona bit back her smile, nudging his stomach with her elbow as she moved her head to the side to catch his face. His face was a lot less tense when he was tired, she found herself staring at his lashes, nose, and lastly, his lips. She looked at those for the longest time before she bravely leaned up, bringing her lips over his.