02: Adjustment

╔══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╗

๑๑๑★・・・・・・★๑๑๑

๑๑๑
★・・・・・・★
๑๑๑

opportunity: a set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something.

★・・・・・・★

THE RECENTLY-ADDED MEMBER of the Aizawa-Yamada family settled down at the dinner table, right in front of Hizashi. Beside her, Shota placed a plate of warm food with a savory smell to it, that of which she didn't know the origin of. It looked delicious, but Kawa couldn't help but repress a shudder.

She observed the plate, a noticeable gulp running down her mouth and throat. Though it may have looked like a normal serving to anybody else, Kawa believed that the food in front of her was practically filling the entire plate.

Nervously, she glanced up to her guardians, who had already begun eating.

"There's a lot of this.. food here—" Kawa set her utensil back down and self-consciously wrapped her arms around herself. "..What is it?"

"Curry!?" She flinched at Hizashi's loud voice, watching cautiously as he took her utensil, scooped up some of the curry, and motioned the portion to her mouth. "Come on!"

Kawa turned to Shota questioningly.

"He wants you to try it," Shota shrugged in response, turning back to his food. When Kawa glanced back over, Hizashi was pulling his lips together into a pout, creating the illusion of a puppy-face.

Needless to say, it worked on her.

Hesitantly, Kawa opened her mouth and let Hizashi feed her the curry. She expected a bitter taste to fill her mouth, but instead, it was unlike she expected. A hot and delicious flavor exploded inside her mouth, practically begging her to eat some more.

Stealing the utensil back from Hizashi, Kawa started hastily shoveling the food into her mouth. "Hey!"

"Slow down, you're going to choke!" Shota warned, but only a second late when Kawa started hacking. Sighing, the coffee-addicted man pat her back in order to stop the strained coughs. "I told you so."

After a few more minutes of eating, everyone had finished. Hearing the wood scraping against the floor as she pushed out her chair, Kawa resisted the urge to cringe. Instead, she bowed down politely.

"Thank you for taking me in to live at your residency," she paused, glancing slightly at her nearly empty plate. "..And for offering me a rather large-portion meal."

Hizashi and Shota exchanged a look, the expression of each she didn't know. It looked sad.

"Kawa, how much did your parents feed you?" Shota asked, raising an eyebrow as he walked over to Hizashi's side.

"Yeah! You're practically a stick!" Hizashi yelled out, earning a jab in the stomach from his husband.

Tilting her head at a slight angle, Kawa pieced together fragments of her memory.

"A typical day consisted mostly of training," she hummed. "Near the end of the day, I received a break to start on my schoolwork.. After another hour or so, Mother or Father would give me two plates of food."

Kawa shyly fiddled with her rim of her empty plate, focusing on it instead of her guardians. "Neither plates were as full as this." Glancing back up, Kawa held a curious expression. "Why do you ask?"

Hizashi opened his mouth, as if aiming to respond, but Shota covered it with his hand. "No reason, Kawa," he shrugged.

They began discussing with each other, catching Kawa off guard as they turned away. She could only hear little bits and pieces of hushed whispers.

"Do you think she would want to go?" Hizashi whispered, bouncing slightly from excitement. "It's an amazing opportunity..!"

"Not sure—" Shota ducked down lower. "..we can't force her to go, even if we wanted her to."

"But who wouldn't want to?" Hizashi shot back.

"You're an idiot," Shota replied, finally sitting up straight and turning back toward Kawa, who wore a confused expression. "Kawa, do you know what a hero is?"

"I am aware they exist.." she murmured, focusing quietly as she tried to recall something from her childhood. "I can't remember any heroes specifically."

"Well, we—" Shota waved his finger between himself and Hizashi, "..are heroes who teach at U.A. It's a prestigious hero school."

"How would you feel about training to be a hero?"

Kawa remained silent for a few moments, thinking over the idea. A hero is someone who helps others, right? Glancing back up at her guardians, her expression softened. Maybe if she became a hero, Kawa could help others like how Hizashi and Shota helped her?

Regaining a sense of confidence, Kawa nodded in affirmation. "I would be delighted to."

And this time, she couldn't resist the tiniest smile that formed onto her face.

๑๑๑
★・・・・・・★
๑๑๑

[ Word Count: 777 ]

╚══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╝