Chapter 3

New York,  Sacred Heart Hospital.

"Dr Singhania, the surgery was a success, "Dr Smith gave him a thumbs-up when the lights of the operation theatre went down.

As they left the operation theatre, the tall man in his late twenties with a slight lean and muscular fit stopped when a little girl hugged his leg. He looked down to find a beautiful girl staring at him with glossy eyes. His heart melted at the sight.

"Mr Doctor, will my papa be fine?" The girl asked with hopeful big eyes. "He said he will buy me anything I want. Can you tell him that I don't want anything but just him?"

"What's your name, little angel?" The doctor asked.

"Arohi, "The little girl answered.

Abhimanyu shook his head and chuckled, earning the attention of everyone. He was known for his aloof nature in the hospital. He had been working in the same hospital since he did his PG in neurosurgery from NYU medical school.  Nobody had ever seen him behaving this friendly with a little girl before.

Dr Abhimanyu Singhania was the heartthrob of the hospital. Be it doctors, nurses or patients, everybody wanted him. He was handsome, smart and kind. He never behaved with a woman with disrespect before. Even after staying in New York for so many years, he never forgot his Indian culture.

"Of course, you are, "Abhimanyu's hazel eyes danced with amusement. "Your dad is fine. Take care of him. When he recovers, ask him to buy you anything you want."

Abhimanyu had a night shift at the hospital. After that, he was scheduled for emergency surgeries with the other neurosurgeons. Thus, he had no time for rest. He was sleeping in his office on the uncomfortable couch when he felt someone throwing a pillow at him.

"How dare you not tell me that you are returning to India? Am I your best friend? Why do I have to hear it from the nurses out there gossiping about you? "Naksh said in annoyance.

"Ayushman is getting engaged next week. He is my father's only nephew. If I don't reach Delhi on time, he will disown me. Do you want that?" Abhimanyu asked. He didn't know why his cousin had to insist that he attend his engagement. They were not very close, to begin with.

"You submitted your resignation, "Naksh threw light on the important matter. "Why on earth would you do that?"

"I gave you a job offer too. But you refused to take it. Not my problem, "Abhimanyu said.

"I'm not going to work in your family's hospital, "Naksh answered. "I'm not moving back to Delhi."

"Are you still avoiding Drishti?" Abhimanyu asked him.

"Are you ready to face Arohi?" Nakh retorted. In a fit of anger, he added,  "You broke her heart, Abhi! We don't even know where the girl is for seven years. I don't even know if she is alive. We went boarding together when we were in freaking sixth standard and our parents were tired of us. We all were best friends. You had to date Arohi and mess everything up. Is your ego more important than her?"

Abhimanyu didn't answer him. He stood up and went to look at the view of fast New York. Life never stopped here. There was just a different kind of energy here. 

When it came to Arohi, it was never about ego. It was just that they grew up and life happened. One of them had to leave to let the other soar high in the sky.

However, he regretted that she left their friend's circle. Nobody had seen or talked to Arohi in seven years. The only person who knew anything about her would be Drishti but she had blocked him and Naksh on all the social media platforms. That girl was fiercely loyal to Arohi and he was glad that someone was still the same.

......
Dr Abhimanyu Singhania